cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Storing custom users data via SIS import

Jump to solution

Is there a way to create custom user data via the users.csv SIS import? I'm looking for the same functionality as the API for creating custom data, but through SIS csv import.

Users - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor II

ismail.orabi@yale.edu​ here is information regarding the SIS CSV format:

There is a section defining the fields currently accepted for the user records, and I don't see a field for custom data.

I also noticed that the API call to store custom data for a user is still listed as "BETA":

Maybe when they finalize this API call they can add a field to the user import format.

Perhaps you should create a new Idea to bring this to the attention of Canvas:

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ismail.orabi@yale.edu​...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered since October 31st.  You may have stumped members of the Canvas Community.  :smileycry:  I wanted to check in with you to see if you've been able to find a solution to your question on your own since you first posted this message.  If so, would you mind posting your findings below so that members of the Canvas Community could also know?  In order to get your question some additional exposure, I'm going to share your question with the Canvas Developers​ and Canvas Admins​ groups here in the Community.  If you're not following either of these groups, you can click on the links I've provided and then click on the "Follow" link in the upper right corner.  Hopefully, by sharing your question, you'll get some replies.  Good luck to you!

Highlighted
Surveyor II

ismail.orabi@yale.edu​ here is information regarding the SIS CSV format:

There is a section defining the fields currently accepted for the user records, and I don't see a field for custom data.

I also noticed that the API call to store custom data for a user is still listed as "BETA":

Maybe when they finalize this API call they can add a field to the user import format.

Perhaps you should create a new Idea to bring this to the attention of Canvas:

View solution in original post

Highlighted

The Beta warning has now disappeared from the API documentation.  Seems yo have happened some time in the last couple of months.