cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student Common Room

Hi,

Has anyone created a college-wide community room for students to just interact with one another through discussions and the sharing of resources? We're looking to create an open "course" for all students to interact in a social media style format and create a stronger sense of community.  Does anyone have experience with this or can offer insight?

Thanks!

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jtorres​, I think you'll find that different Community members will offer various ways to accomplish this (for example, account-level groups, or a single course in which all students for a given term or academic year are enrolled), so I've changed the format of your post from a closed-end question to an open-ended discussion.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jtorres​...

Your question is very interesting to me.  About a year ago, I had posted a Feature Idea, , which (in a way) gets at what you are asking.  Unfortunately, it didn't get many votes to be considered for development.  If there was a way to add some kind of LTI app like Prulu or Piazza (both free LTI apps) where you essentially could have an open discussion board for students to post their questions/comments/etc., that might be very interesting.  Of course, you may have to do quite a bit of monitoring of those discussions.  However, there's really nothing I am aware of in the current User Interface that would let you add some kind of tool discussion/resource to the Dashboard for everyone to see.  😞

Highlighted

Thanks, Chris! This was really helpful. I think those LTI apps could work really well for what we'd like to do. I'll take it for now until we can create a better long-term solution.