cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student File Submission Error and Failure in Submitting Assignments

My students are unable to submit files from Word, PowerPoint etc. I have recently installed the Office 365 app and they can sign into their accounts to see their files in One Drive, however when they try to submit that way it says failed to submit file.

HELP, please, this is the type of files I need them to submit to me since I teach all the Office products in my classes.

Thank you!

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jane Moore, and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Please forgive me for stating the obvious, but make sure that the 'assignment' is setup properly for 'file submissions (see below), and then try having your students 'save' their created files to their local drive/device first and then submitting them in Canvas.

Submission Type - image

This is one possible work around that if successful, would point to a higher level issue... perhaps with the installation of Office 365. We experienced a similar issue with faculty not having access to open the submitted files when they were submitted directly from O365.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

They are setup correctly. Not sure what is happening. They say file error every time unless they use Google Docs and upload from their Google Drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Jane,

Try having your students 'save' their created files to their local drive/device first and then submitting them in Canvas. We experienced a similar issue with faculty not having access to open the submitted files when they were submitted directly from O365.

Highlighted

This still won't work even if they save it to the local drive. It is getting very frustrating!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've never had this issue before, but some things you could test/try - Can you submit to the assignment as the test student? Have you checked with your Canvas Admin to see if they can log in as a student and submit a file (even just a test file)? Have you tried creating a new assignment and having students submit to it?

Highlighted
Explorer

Here was one very odd situation that looked like this problem.

Student came to me with her laptop and the assignment submission page open with the clear problem that the submission had failed. She was completely confused as she has not had trouble so far. We tried reselecting, renaming, and selecting her file from another device. No good.

I checked the class/assignment - some students had submitted successfully and the upload settings/requirements were appropriate.

I thought we should go back to her dashboard and then into the class again to see if that helped. At her dashboard, we didn't see her class. That's when she said, "oh, another student is logged in." We got logged in as the correct student and there were no issues with the submission then. Joy!

My assumption is that she had the assignment submission page pulled up for herself, then was interrupted by someone else who wanted to use her computer to view Canvas. That student opened a new tab then logged in (same browser) and never logged out. This original student then accessed the still-open assignment page and then could not submit her file (because the browser knew the student logged in didn't have that class!!). Whew.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jmoore@rcs.rome.ga.us‌, we're revisiting this question in the hope that you were able to employ one or more of the suggestions offered to arrive at a resolution. We've marked it Assumed Answered but that won't stop the conversation from continuing, so if you have a moment to share the details of how this was eventually sorted, please post it here.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels