Student Log Files

Jump to solution
nancy_webb
Community Participant

Good morning!  I am trying to access student log files from our Spring 2020 semester.  The CSV export only shows three weeks of access.  My Canvas Account rep has instructed me to utilize Canvas Data, but I am unsure as to how to proceed.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Nancy Webb

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

nancy.webb 

There are two ways that Canvas will deliver the access report information. Both have short-comings.

• A relatively recent addition, the admin report gives you data for all courses, but only for the last month. Note that this last month is only for when the view or participation is within the last month -- it is not the entire log for students who have been active in the last month. You would need to download this report at least once a month and combine them together, keeping the last entry if present to get the most recent date, if you want a complete picture of activity for the term.
  • The original way was the user access report within a course. It gives you data for more than a month (going back to the start of the term), but only for one student in one course at a time.

There is a script I wrote four years ago (last update was a month ago) that downloads the access report for all users within a course. It uses the second method so it gets all of the data (plus some that Canvas doesn't give you in those their reports), but you have to run it for each course. Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course 

View solution in original post