cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zachw
Community Member

Student Permissions: Can Students Manage Course Files?

Jump to solution

I'm working with a faculty member to create an faculty assessment course site on Canvas. Ideally, each student in the class would have these two permissions:

• The ability to submit assignments and receive grades like a student.
  • The ability to manage course files.

However, I've been unable to create a Student-based permission that allows me to click the "Manage (add / edit / delete) course files" button. The below image shows there isn't a clickable button in the second column (which has Student permissions), while there is a clickable button in all the columns that have TA permissions.

The second column button is not selectable.

Is there a way to set up the permissions as I've described them? The one workaround that we've considered is adding all the faculty-students to a User Group and having them upload their files to the Group Files instead of the Course Files. This isn't ideal, since it introduces questions like "Did I leave this file here or there?" and "Why are some of the course outlines in one folder, while others are elsewhere?"

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lindalee
Adventurer II

One workaround would be to place everyone into a course-wide group (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10717 ) and have them manage files within the group area (see How do I view group files as a student? ). As students, they would be able to submit assignments. And as group members, they would be able manage group files.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You are correct that you can't have a student based role that can Manage course files. What you could do is create a new role based on TA and call it Student (or something similar).

zachw
Community Member

Is the TA role able to submit assignments? I feel like I've run into this issue in the past.

Update: I just created a TA role that has all the listed permissions of the default Student role except it can also Manage Files. This new role is unable to submit assignments.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

So as a hack, what I've done is enroll people with both roles. So in this case student and the TA role. They should then be able to do everything you need. No promises that this will work forever, but it is a workaround that works right now. 

lindalee
Adventurer II

One workaround would be to place everyone into a course-wide group (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10717 ) and have them manage files within the group area (see How do I view group files as a student? ). As students, they would be able to submit assignments. And as group members, they would be able manage group files.

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@zachw ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie