cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student Photo ID Pics

How do I select the group of students enrolled in my class and see their PSU ID photos so I can learn their names? 

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello izzysky@skywardinvestmentsltd.com...

Since the majority of people here in the Canvas Community wouldn't have access to your school's Canvas environment, one of the unknowns (from our end) is if your school is bringing in "official" photos of students from your school's SIS (Student Information System) into Canvas.  Even if this wasn't the case and PSU lets students upload their own photos to their Canvas profiles, there is a solution I found a few years back which you might want to look at.  Custom JS/CSS - Face Book and Learning Mode (this is located in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers group here in the Community).  This solution requires back-end administrative access to your school's Canvas environment, so if you are not a Canvas admin at your school, you would want to talk with someone who is to see if they would be willing to add the necessary code to their global JavaScript and CSS files.  There are screenshots of what this looks like on the GitHub link I've provided in that posting.  I hope this helps, Dana.

Highlighted
Community Member

Chris!  I found it!  In Canvas - go to the People page, up in the right hand corner there are 3 dots.  I  Print View.  When you select print view it uploads all of your roster's student ID pix.  This allows you to learn your student's names pretty easily before the semester starts!  Thanks a million!  Hope this helps other newbies who really want to know their students names quickly.  I download the FlipCards app and upload the pics with their names on the back and learn them in a flash!  Happy Holidays! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello izzysky@skywardinvestmentsltd.com...

I am glad that you found what you were looking for within your "People" tab.  However, what you describe does not sound like normal Canvas functionality.  It almost sounds like the "Print View" option was some custom coding that was added by local Canvas administrators at your school (or via an external LTI tool).  As you can see from this Guide, How do I use the People page in a course as an instructor?, the included screenshot under the heading of "Manage Users" does not have the option you are referring to...which leads me to believe this was added by someone at your school...probably a Canvas administrator.  I hope this helps, Dana.  Happy holidays to you as well!

Highlighted

izzysky@skywardinvestmentsltd.com‌, perhaps your school's admin would like to share the custom solution with the Canvas Community in the Canvas Admins‌ group; they'd love to see it, I'm sure!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels