cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Student Receiving an Unauthorized message when he tries to access a module

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I just received an email from a student saying when he tries to access this week's module he gets the "Unauthorized - It appears that you don't have permission to access this page" message. I've checked the module for the things that would normally cause this, like prerequisites, requirements, lock until dates, and unpublished content, and it does not have any of those. I can tell other students have been able to access the module because they have taken a quiz in the module. It's the eighth week of the course and this student hasn't had any problems before. Does anyone know what could be going on to cause this one student to see the unauthorized message for this one module?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor

I'd suggest getting a step-by-step from the student on what they were doing to trigger that message, then try those steps in student view.  If he's following a link from somewhere else, the link may be bad.

I'd also confirm that the module itself is published.  If it isn't, students could still access the quiz through the quiz or assignments tab, and not be able to access the module itself.

View solution in original post

Do you have more information about the problem? Have you tried contacting Canvas Support?

12 Replies
Surveyor

I'd suggest getting a step-by-step from the student on what they were doing to trigger that message, then try those steps in student view.  If he's following a link from somewhere else, the link may be bad.

I'd also confirm that the module itself is published.  If it isn't, students could still access the quiz through the quiz or assignments tab, and not be able to access the module itself.

All of my students are getting this message.  What I did was create a series of pages with content about different verb tenses and put those pages as links as part of a lesson/assignment.  They can open the assignments, but none of the pages.  I can't see how they're set up any differently from the home page, instructions page, etc, which they can access.

grammarbydeborah  a belated Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Some things to check:

If these troubleshooting tips don't solve the problem, your best course of action will be to have Canvas Support have a look at the pages/links (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌)

I finally figured it out. It was very frustrating to be in front of the class and have it not work, but it was my fault.

I had created the pages for two classes by copying and pasting text between them, so when I created the assignment that included those page, I copied and pasted from one course to the other - including the links. Of course they didn't work when they pointed to the other course. Once I removed and reset them, they were fine.

Thank you.

Instructure
Instructure

tilt_crm@mail.colostate.edu

This sounds as though the student came across a broken link in the system. As abunag@pacific.edu​suggested here, finding out what exactly the student was trying to view will be key to figuring out which link is not working properly.

Please let me know if you still have any questions.

Community Member

This may be a stab in the dark but does the student have any academic holds on his account?

Community Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted the student for more information and never heard back, so I am just assuming the problem got fixed.

I am having the same problem.

Do you have more information about the problem? Have you tried contacting Canvas Support?