cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student Sort Order Broken in Teacher App 1.8 for iOS?

Jump to solution

Hi, everyone,

I'm grading a set of assignments using the Canvas mobile app for iOS, latest version (1.8). Suddenly (after the update), my students are sorted by first name rather than last, as has been the case.

Is this a bug or just me?

Cheerily,

Dan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

mclark@exchange.calstatela.edu‌ & barnettda@butte.edu‌, 

This has been fixed in Canvas Teacher 1.8.1. All you need to do is update the app.

313617_pastedImage_4.png

If you this not working properly, please respond back. Thanks! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi barnettda@butte.edu‌,

I'm seeing the same thing. Not sure if this is by design or just a mistake. I would suggest you report it to your local support or Canvas support. I'll do the same. Thanks! 

Highlighted
Community Member

So, I check it a little more and it seems to only be with certain assignments and not for every assignment for every course. Check a few other courses and assignments and so if it's in the correct order. Still, not a fix, but more information. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌,

Yes, you're correct. A few of the assignments have the correct last-name sort order, but most, graded and ungraded, are sorted by first name.

The inconsistency is jarring, and I wonder if that means it will be a harder fix for Canvas' intrepid coders? Hope not! 🙂

Cheerily,

Dan

Highlighted
Learner II

I'm connecting another conversation here -- Alphabetizing Student Names on App

Highlighted
Surveyor

Sorry; I didn't see this and started another discussion.  Kristin linked my thread, but we can keep the conversation here.  So far, everything I'm seeing is alphabetized by first name, but I have a couple pending assignments to grade (my weekend and welcome to it.)  I'll check them out.  

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for adding to the conversation and reporting this to Canvas. The change wasn't intended and a fix is in the works. Stay tuned...

Highlighted
Community Member

mclark@exchange.calstatela.edu‌ & barnettda@butte.edu‌, 

This has been fixed in Canvas Teacher 1.8.1. All you need to do is update the app.

313617_pastedImage_4.png

If you this not working properly, please respond back. Thanks! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

Eureka! All updated, and it’s back to last name first. The responsively is most appreciated.

Sent from my iPad

Highlighted
Community Member

Wonderful! - It's working correctly for me as well. <big sigh of relief!>

Cheerily,

Dan