cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student Submission Deletion

Jump to solution

Does anyone know how to delete a submission a student submitted accidently before being done so they can be allowed to retake or recomplete the assignment? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi lori.steinhart@lvhn.org.  You cannot delete a submission but you can allow an assignment to be completed multiple times.  kona@richland.edu‌ describes this process in the following thread for regular assignments, Multiple student submissions?.  This document explains how to allow one or more students extra quiz attempts, Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?.

Would either of these be solutions for the issue you are facing?  If not please let us know.

Best wishes!  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi lori.steinhart@lvhn.org.  You cannot delete a submission but you can allow an assignment to be completed multiple times.  kona@richland.edu‌ describes this process in the following thread for regular assignments, Multiple student submissions?.  This document explains how to allow one or more students extra quiz attempts, Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?.

Would either of these be solutions for the issue you are facing?  If not please let us know.

Best wishes!  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Dear Canvas,

Your answer does not work for me. I've a Student who ask me to delete one specific submission. Because of data protection, and because of the regulations concerning personal data I simply should be able to delete the submission. 

I’m admin in canvas and I’m the contact person in such cases. What should I do?

All the best,

Stefan 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

stefan.hohenberger@fu-berlin.de, as far as I'm aware there is no way to delete the submission. The student can resubmit to the assignment and the newest submission would be the one that would show up to grade, etc. If this does not work you could try contacting Canvas Support to see if there is any way on their end to delete the submission - I will say that we've been using Canvas for 6 years and I'm really not sure this is possible, but if it is, Support would be the ones that can do it.

As a side note, the functionality is on Product Radar - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students - and my recommendation is to vote on it and comment on why it's so important to have this functionality. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

Highlighted
Community Member

Actually Eric, It does not.  We know about multiple attempts but what had occured was one student submitted early by accident.  We did not want all students to be able to reaccess and redo the assignment. Lori

Highlighted

I'm sorry to hear that lori.steinhart@lvhn.org.  As Kona mentioned in this thread, you might try contacting Support to see if they can delete a submission on their end, but I haven't heard anyone in the Community indicate that they have been successful in deleting an assignment.  I may not be an option in your case, but if you wanted only this particular student to be able to resubmit an assignment, you could create a make-up assignment and only assign it to this student.  In the gradebook you could exempt the student from the first assignment and enter his/her score in the second assignment.  

This is just and idea, but Support may have others!

Learner II

What about using the Differentiated Assignment feature to give only that particular student another chance to submit?  The one student could have an extended Until date and could resubmit, but every other student would not have access because they would be under the original due/until dates. Just a thought.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels