Student Took Quiz While Constructing, Was Given Full Credit For Completing 1/4th of the Quiz

Jump to solution
cjmoss
Community Novice

One of my students logged into Canvas and completed a quiz as I was editing/constructing it. I was unaware that the exam link was available to students as I had intended the quiz to go live the following day. Lo and behold, the student took 1/4th of the full exam but is getting full credit for it.

Since Canvas does not allow for instructors to delete previous attempts and giving the student the option of multiple attempts redirects her to the unfinished exam she already took, is there any solution that I can use that doesn't involve deleting the test completely (other students have already completed the full exam)?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @cjmoss  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

First, there really is no easy way to fix this, although there are ways to prevent this from happening in the future. You could create a copy of the full quiz and make that available only to the appropriate student, but you would need to still deal with the extra points for the original attempt. How do I assign a quiz to an individual student?  

How to prevent this in the future:

• Do not publish your quiz until it is ready to be presented to students. Just click Save, instead of Save and Publish.
  • Set Availability Date. Then students cannot interact with the quiz until the date/time you specify.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26470-what-options-can-i-set-in-a-quiz 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes