Highlighted
Community Member

Student Upload

I am an instructor and would like to create a folder where students can upload files: which category should I use for 2-way uploads & downloads  for both faculty+ students?

Note that this is not a graded assignment.

Thank you!

N

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rozotn@newschool.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  In a Canvas course, you have a "Files" area, but it does not allow students to upload files to that area.  The "Files" area is for you, as the instructor, to upload documents, images, etc. for students to download.  The only place that students are able to upload files is to a group or two their own personal "Files" area that is tied to their account.  See How do I upload a file to my user or group files? and How do I upload ZIP files as a student? for more details.

Are you wanting students to be able to download files that other students have uploaded?  If so, you might have to do some work-arounds to accomplish this...such as using Dropbox.com or Google Drive to make a folder where your students have access and can then upload/download files as needed.  You may need to provide them with a link that you harvest from Dropbox.com or Google Drive so that your students can get to it easily.

Would any of these options work for your needs?

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for your reply: yes, I would like students to upload and download files in a shared folder.

In essence, I am unclear whether Canvas is a one-way platform for intructor upload > students download, or if it can go two-ways for uploads and downloads.

I am familiar with Dropbox and GoogleDrive, which have sharing settings that can be adjusted one-way (view only) or two-way (can edit), but I was hoping I could work entirely within the Canvas platform for the needs of my course in an effort to streamline the process...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rozotn@newschool.edu...

As I mentioned in my first reply, the "Files" area of your course [see  for more information] does not allow for students to upload files.  That's only for you as an instructor to provide document, images, and other resources for your students to download.  The only work-around I can think of is to maybe create a group in your course where everyone in the course has access to the group page.  A group page includes a separate "Files" area that is different than the regular course "Files" area.  Anyone who is a part of that group would be able to upload/download files to that group.  Check out .  You'd create a group set, and then you would create a single group within that group set.  Next, you would put all your students in that group so that they could access the group page.  I hope this additional suggestion might be of help  to you.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you so much for the additional suggestion: it sounds exactly like the solution I need.

Labels