cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csto
Community Member

Student can't view recorded conference

I've run a conference that was recorded. Since the recording was made a new student has joined the course. The recording is not available to her. Can I make the recording available to her?

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@csto ​, this is an interesting question that I've never run into before. I'm going to tag fdixon​ on this from Big Blue Button to see if he can shed some light on this issue.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@csto ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to tag fdixon again and I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

bhuggins
Surveyor

I see this has been dead for a while, but I'm experiencing the same issue on our system.  Only one student seems unable to see the recorded sessions, and I can't see a reason for it.  Any help is appreciated.

@bhuggins , since it's only affecting one student, have you asked the student to submit a help ticket (How do I get help with Canvas?​--direct the student to select Report a Problem--ideally, directly from the screen on which he or she is unable to view the recordings).

Actually I found out about the issue because the student submitted a support ticket to us.  We work with multiple colleges, and work as support for all of them, and brand the LMS to look like it belongs to the school.  If nothing new comes from this thread I'll go ahead and submit a ticket myself, but it's not our policy to put students in direct contact with Canvas.  Thank you for the advice anyways, I know we have a strange setup, and normally that would work.

Ah, thanks for the clarification,  @bhuggins ​. I don't know if you have the wherewithal to escalate the ticket to Canvas Support, but it would help if you could, because the student's support ticket brings along with it all that useful metadata that can help diagnose the issue--machine, browser, browser version, and the like.

maypumphreymary
Community Member

I'm having this same problem at present. What I learned from a long phone conversation with instructure tech support yesterday is that students have to be invited to the conference in order to be able to view the recording afterwards. And there's apparently no way for me to invite them after the Conference has taken place.  )-:  So late-adding students are NOT going to be able to view the recording. In my case, I issued the invitation Sunday evening but my college added some more students (who had registered long ago in some cases) Monday morning. The Conference was Monday evening. I heard from several students yesterday that they could not view the Conference. Unless I hear a workaround from someone soon, I'm going to have to conduct a SECOND online course orientation tomorrow.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this issue has never come up and been solved before this. It seems so obvious that an instructor teaching an online course via Canvas would want to use a Conference for the orientation. And students adding the course after the first day is hardly something new. So, I'm both frustrated and mystified!

My post on this topic from last night is at https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/19608-how-can-a-late-adding-student-be-allowed-to-view-the-re... 

millersd
Community Member

christinemoore
Surveyor

HI, I am just seeing this as I peruse the boards for another issue. The way I make it available is by saving the recording to my Google Drive and/or computer. Then I share that recording to Announcements or as a pinned discussion.

Hope that helps!

Christine