cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrady2
Surveyor

Student course access, publishing, and start/end dates

Jump to solution

This may have already been asked, or it may be in the guides, but I could not find it easily, so I decided to ask.  Is it the default action that when an instructor publishes a course that, even if they have set course or section dates, students can still enter the course to look around but cannot interact with content until the course or section date has passed?

I had an instructor contact me the other day stating that she sees students have entered a course she published, but she set section start/end dates, and she assumed those dates restricted the students from entering the course at all until the start date.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbrady2
Surveyor

I finally had the time, during this week of prep for the coming fall semester, to research the answer to my own question, so I thought I would post what I found here.

Apparently students can still access a course to look around no matter the Term, Course, or Section dates set unless the instructor also checks the Restrict students from viewing course before start date option on the Course Details tab under course Settings.  More about this can be found here: How do I restrict student access to a course before or after the course dates?

Related information concerning setting course start and end dates can be found here: How do I change the start and end dates for a course? The note at the top of this guide explains that course start and end dates only restrict participation not access.

Related information concerning section start and end dates can be found here: How do I edit the details for a course section?

One piece of information I could not find in the guides, though, was an explanation of the relationship of the Term, Course, and Section dates, but perhaps I have just not dug far enough.  The guide that covers setting course dates does mention that course dates override term dates, but I could not easily find info, if it exists, to explain how section dates fit into the scheme.  The way it was explained to me, by one of our admins, is that course dates override term dates, and section dates override course dates.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jbrady2
Surveyor

I finally had the time, during this week of prep for the coming fall semester, to research the answer to my own question, so I thought I would post what I found here.

Apparently students can still access a course to look around no matter the Term, Course, or Section dates set unless the instructor also checks the Restrict students from viewing course before start date option on the Course Details tab under course Settings.  More about this can be found here: How do I restrict student access to a course before or after the course dates?

Related information concerning setting course start and end dates can be found here: How do I change the start and end dates for a course? The note at the top of this guide explains that course start and end dates only restrict participation not access.

Related information concerning section start and end dates can be found here: How do I edit the details for a course section?

One piece of information I could not find in the guides, though, was an explanation of the relationship of the Term, Course, and Section dates, but perhaps I have just not dug far enough.  The guide that covers setting course dates does mention that course dates override term dates, but I could not easily find info, if it exists, to explain how section dates fit into the scheme.  The way it was explained to me, by one of our admins, is that course dates override term dates, and section dates override course dates.

View solution in original post

This is actually something we were looking for today too. The whole relationship of end dates. Out of curiosity, do you know when they added this feature under the main account branch?

203603_pastedImage_1.png

We had to manually click this as a student had been getting into VitalSource books after end date and we were confused as to why until we searched around and realized these were actually "un" clicked, our institution always had this feature enabled, for students to not access courses after they've concluded.. So we can only assume this was introduced as a feature, but maybe we weren't paying close enough attention to a release update.

Deactivated user I assume, based upon some of the settings your screen capture is showing that this is from an admin account. Since I do not have admin privileges, I do not see the same settings, so I am not really able to answer your question. However, I have shared this with the Canvas Admin group to see if someone else might provide an answer.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You should see similar settings in your course settings. When you click on course settings make sure to scroll down and click the more options link.

Thanks  @kona   I checked under more option, and below is what I saw.

tmp_16620-Screenshot_20160910-084902-852906809.png

Unless my institution has turned off some of the features, I do not see the same things. I think it was the controls for subaccounts and course renaming that led to believe that these were admin settings.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It could be that your Institution turned them off. At ours we allow Instructors to choose if they want this option enabled or not, which in turn leaves this option viable to faculty under their course settings.