cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Student e-mail addresses

Jump to solution

Hello! I am an instructor at the University of Florida, and I am creating a course which I have not yet published.  As far as I can tell, while I can see the students in my roster, I cannot e-mail them individually, nor can I see their school e-mail addresses; I am writing more concerning the latter.  Is there a way to view the students' e-mail addresses (the non-canvas ones-i.e. the "@ufl" emails in my case) prior to, or indeed following, publishing the course?

Thank you!
Arjun

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Each school sets up their Canvas environment a bit differently. For example our faculty can’t see student email addresses from within Canvas. If they need the email address it is available in our Student Information System (ex: Banner, Jenzabar, etc). Otherwise, Instructors can message individual students either from the Inbox (no email address required) or by clicking on the name of the student from People and in the context card that comes up click on the message icon. Either way the message will be sent to the student in Canvas and forwarded out to their default email address, which will likely be their school email. We actually prefer and recommend that faculty communicate with students this way so it’s in Canvas and their school email. 

View solution in original post

kona@richland.edu‌ thank you for your response!  So, just to give you an idea, here is what I have on my CANVAS (I blanked out the students' names and IDs)

263104_pastedImage_1.png

So, when I click on a student, I get the thing that appears on the right (where it says PSY2012 general, and below it, Psychology, Spring 2018).  If I click the envelope to the right, I can message the student individually, but unfortunately I can't seem to find any place where I can get their e-mail address.  I suspect it may not be possible without contacting the student individually or contacting administration.

11 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi aiyer1217@ufl.edu, regarding obtaining student emails I have a quick question.  If you go to the People tab of your class and click on a student, what do you see as the default email for students?  I just checked and in my Canvas instance I can see the university email for each student but it may be different for you.

Thanks!

Eric

Each school sets up their Canvas environment a bit differently. For example our faculty can’t see student email addresses from within Canvas. If they need the email address it is available in our Student Information System (ex: Banner, Jenzabar, etc). Otherwise, Instructors can message individual students either from the Inbox (no email address required) or by clicking on the name of the student from People and in the context card that comes up click on the message icon. Either way the message will be sent to the student in Canvas and forwarded out to their default email address, which will likely be their school email. We actually prefer and recommend that faculty communicate with students this way so it’s in Canvas and their school email. 

kona@richland.edu‌ thank you for your response!  So, just to give you an idea, here is what I have on my CANVAS (I blanked out the students' names and IDs)

263104_pastedImage_1.png

So, when I click on a student, I get the thing that appears on the right (where it says PSY2012 general, and below it, Psychology, Spring 2018).  If I click the envelope to the right, I can message the student individually, but unfortunately I can't seem to find any place where I can get their e-mail address.  I suspect it may not be possible without contacting the student individually or contacting administration.

The popup on the right is the new Context Card feature from Canvas. It was created to give you a summary view of the students progress. This card will not display the students full profile information. At our institution, I can click on that students name in the card and I can see the users profile page 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12709-4152698664  

Hi aiyer1217@ufl.edu‌ - I know that you posted this question a few months ago, but perhaps your institution could provide a .csv file with the students' email addresses? Another way to quickly collect those addresses (if the contact information is not available by other means) is to create a Google Form then embed it into an announcement or assignment. Students could share their name and institution email address, and you'd have the information in a sortable format.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, aiyer1217@ufl.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not seen any new activity in this topic since March 22, 2018.  I typically recommend something similar to what kona@richland.edu‌ has already stated.  If instructors need to obtain student e-mail addresses, I usually tell them to harvest them out of our SIS, Banner.  Do you have any additional questions about this as it relates to your original question?  Do you feel any of the above responses have helped to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to mark someone's answer as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for more than four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Arjun.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Community Member

Why can't I email my students? Their email addresses don't show up. It indicates, instead, that there is only one person in the course. Thanks.

Community Member

Please, don't worry.  I found the problem.  I can't send email messages if course is as "unpublished."

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ma669@georgetown.edu...

I am glad you were able to resolve this on your own.  Thank you for posting a follow-up message for us.

I wanted to briefly discuss the term "e-mail".  Canvas does not have "e-mail".  They have something similar called "messaging" (sometimes referred to as "Conversations"), and it's all done via your Canvas Inbox.  What this means is that people can only send/receive messages to/from people in the same course that you are enrolled in.  People cannot send messages to their friends/family who are not enrolled in those same courses.  The reverse is also true that your friends/family cannot send you an e-mail and expect you to see it within your Canvas environment.  However, all users in Canvas can choose how they would like to be notified about certain things (including messages in your Inbox) via "Notifications".  Canvas users can choose different ways they want to be notified...such as via a personal e-mail address, Twitter, or even via text message.  Once someone has added those contact methods, then he/she can decide how frequently those messages should be delivered.  Here are a bunch of Guides for you on how this all works:

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student? 

I hope this will be of some help to you, Monica.