Student replying with quoted email to grading comments

studyvs
Community Participant

I've been teaching on Canvas for a few years now, and I've never seen this before. I post comments when I grade assignments. I know that if students have email notifications turned on for assignment comments, they will receive the comment with the grade in their email. I have had students respond to these comments before, but this semester is the first time I've ever seen a reply that contains the quoted email they were sent from Canvas. While it has the student response at the top, this was sent as HTML, so the original email that they received, including the HTML code, is in the comment box for the assignment. I can even see at the bottom of the message where it shows:

"You can review the submission details using the link below, or can reply to this comment by responding to this message. When allowed, if you need to include an attachment, please log in to Canvas and reply to the submission."

So clearly the student is keeping the quoted email when responding, and while I mentioned this to the student, it continued for every assignment. Is there any way to prevent the quoted message to be included in the comment within Canvas? Is there any way to turn off their ability to reply directly to that message, requiring them to log into Canvas to post their replies? Is there perhaps a way for me to edit that outgoing message they receive asking them to not reply via email?

Labels (1)
0 Likes