cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Student submitted assignment after Until and Due dates

I have a quiz that has a Due date of Sep 21st 2020 11:59pm, and an "Available Until" date of Sep 21st 2020 11:59pm.  This how-to suggests that that is the way to prevent late submissions.  Yet, I've gotten a late submission from a student.

Selection_001.png

How do I prevent late submissions from students?  Ideally, the quiz would auto-submit at the Due/Until date.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

It should have submitted and I can't explain why it didn't.  My only guess is that if they left the quiz and quit working on it, or had a network disruption which prevented it from submitting.  If you check the logs on the quiz can you tell if the student was still working on it between 11:50 and 12:39?  This really might be something you should open a ticket with Canvas to take a look at.  Without any of us being able to look at logs and specific settings it's a little difficult to speculate.  You can click on the Help icon on the left side of Canvas and then select Report a Problem.  

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted

These are the last two entries in the quiz log:

02:49:12 Answered question:#2

10:24:55 Resumed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Looks to me like the student was working on it well before the deadline but didn't click Submit.  And then it  auto-submitted as soon as the student accessed  it again 39 minutes after the deadline.  So the student wasn't able to work on it after the due date, but it didn't auto submit because it wasn't actively open at that time.

Rick

Highlighted

If this is true, then this is not a good design.  Autosubmission should occur on the backend, not the frontend.  If it's on the frontend, then it's 1) not secure, and students can circumvent it, 2) not reliable, if students just close the page and don't return to it. 

My TAs have since told me that this is not an isolated incident.

Since autosubmit just seems to be broken, is there a way to disable it altogether?  I.e. require my students to manually hit the "submit" button?

Highlighted
Surveyor

Not sure if this help, but you may want to try putting a time limit on the quiz. That way Canvas will submit for the student even if they walk away and don't hit submit.

Although we are running into issues with exams not auto submitting with a due date/until date, and time limit. 

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels