cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Student upload files folder

Hi

I am a teacher at Business Academy Aarhus (Denmark) and we've just started using Canvas. I have a question: I would like to create a files folder that students can upload their stuff into for all to see but I cant see how. Is there anyone that could help? Thanks in advance:-).

Br Nikolaj Mortensen

7 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

nihm@eaaa.dk‌, Canvas doesn't have the functionality for students to upload files and see each other's work in a folder. The closest to this would be an assignment where you set it up so everyone could peer review everyone else in the course. 

Yet, they could share their files with each other in discussion posts. There is an option for you to allow students to attach files to a discussion under Settings and then students could add their file to their discussion post and be able to see everyone else's file. 

I hope hope you find this information useful!

Community Member

Hi Kona, although not what I had hoped for, your answer is very help- and usefull. Much appreciated.

Community Team
Community Team

nihm@eaaa.dk‌, you can leverage groups to do this. If you place all of your students in the same group, they'll be able to view the shared files and folders for that group. (I'm suggesting this strictly for file viewing purposes, not for assignments, which is a different aspect of course management.) Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10717-67952724469 

Community Member

Hi Stefanie

Very helpful indeed, thanks very much. Apparently there are a number of ways to get around this issue and I am very grateful for your help. Your suggestion seems like the intuitively easiest way. Thank very much again☺.

Br Nikolaj

Best regards

Nikolaj Hübertz Mortensen

Lecturer

You are so welcome, nihm@eaaa.dk, and thank you for taking the time to come back and let us know that this will work for you!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nihm@eaaa.dk Welcome  to both Canvas and the Canvas Community!

Another alternative might be to leverage Google Sheets for this purpose, or even a GoogleDoc.

You could create a Google sheet with the list of files, a short description and a link to that file that is in a Google folder shared to the class (or even public), then embed the sheet in a Canvas Page. Below are some help resources..........

One of the advantages of this approach is that you can update both the sheet and the files from Google Drive anytime anything changes, and those changes would be automatically reflected in any course that you have embedded the sheet.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Community Member

Hi Kelley

Thanks very much indeed, this is very helpful. Appreciate very much your time and insight☺.

Best regards

Nikolaj Hübertz Mortensen

Lecturer