Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Student view as a permission

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

Recently, I noticed that some kind of enrolments (different from admin and teachers), have not the "Student view" button enabled. In my case, some coordinators and coordinator assistants are not enrolled as teachers in the courses, but as a customised account role profile created:

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 11.00.05 AM.png

My doubt is if it's possible to enable that button some other way, because if it's not, enrol this kind of users  as admins or teachers is not ideal. Or maybe, if there was a permission option like "Enable Student View Button" would be great.

Is there a way to see the course as students not being an administrator or teacher?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

According to Canvas Permission Updates​, the specific permission which enables use of Student View by an Account Role is Manage (add/edit/delete) courses.  Per the Canvas Account Role Permissions PDF document, enabling that permission will also grant these abilities:

• add new courses to the account
  • use Reset Course Content and Permanently Delete Course buttons in Course Settings
  • view the Choose Home Page and Course Setup Checklist buttons in the Home page
  • edit Course Details (under the Settings tab in a course)

That document also states that administrators who manage courses must also have View the list of courses permission enabled.

Will you want to enable those two permissions for your coordinator and coordinator assistant Account Roles?  If not, then chofer@morainepark.edu​'s suggestion for enrolling these people in course roles will help.  (At our institution, Teaching Assistants and Designers can also use Student View, in addition to Teachers.)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi marcelo.amorim​...

When you created these custom roles in your account, what was the "Base Type" that you selected (your choices are Student, Teacher, TA, Designer, and Observer)?  If you created a custom role based on the "Base Type" of "Student", then it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to see the "Student View" button in the "Settings" area of a course.  I believe the solution would be to create these custom roles with a "Base Type" as "Teacher" and then set the permissions for those roles just as you have them now.  This would get you the "Student View" button you are looking for...and you could still lock down the permissions enough that it could mimic a student in a course.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted

First of all, thank you for the answer!

But I am trying to create a new "Account Role", not a "Course Role". In the Account Roles tab, unfortunately, I can't chose the "Base Type" because it's disabled. My need to create an Account Role is because I can set the user to take care of the entire account instead of enrolling him in each course (which would cause a lot of extra enrolments). I don't know if I am getting it wrong, but please, be patient with me!

Thank you anyway!

Highlighted

Hi marcelo.amorim​...

Oh yes...the "Base Type" on the "Account Roles" tab also seems to be grayed out for me as well.  I can see why you wouldn't want to create a new role under the "Course Roles" tab because of having to enroll the user(s) in multiple courses.  However, the "Student View" seems to be something at the course level and not something at an admin level, so it makes sense that this kind of permission resides there instead of in the "Account Roles" tab.

What are the differences between course-level roles and account-level roles?

How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?

How do I set permissions for an account-level role?

If you did ultimately decide to go with a new role in "Course Roles", have you considered enrolling the user(s) via SIS import?  That might save you some time instead of manually enrolling the user(s) in every course.  Check out these Canvas Guides for more information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4141#jive_content_id_SIS_Imports

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

chofer@morainepark.edu​ & marcelo.amorim​, I'm not sure what level permissions you have at  your Institution, but I am a Canvas admin and am able to create new Account roles. Have you tried checking with someone else at your Institution to see if they can help create this new account role?

Highlighted
Navigator

According to Canvas Permission Updates​, the specific permission which enables use of Student View by an Account Role is Manage (add/edit/delete) courses.  Per the Canvas Account Role Permissions PDF document, enabling that permission will also grant these abilities:

• add new courses to the account
  • use Reset Course Content and Permanently Delete Course buttons in Course Settings
  • view the Choose Home Page and Course Setup Checklist buttons in the Home page
  • edit Course Details (under the Settings tab in a course)

That document also states that administrators who manage courses must also have View the list of courses permission enabled.

Will you want to enable those two permissions for your coordinator and coordinator assistant Account Roles?  If not, then chofer@morainepark.edu​'s suggestion for enrolling these people in course roles will help.  (At our institution, Teaching Assistants and Designers can also use Student View, in addition to Teachers.)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Updating my note above. After July 2018 redesign of the Permissions UI for admins, the Account Role permission governing Student View is now named:

• Courses - add / edit / delete