cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Students Cannot See Past Discussion Posts

Jump to solution

We have several discussions that are not behaving as expected.  They are configured as group discussions and students were able to post and reply to posts by students from any of the groups.  However, when the students went back to the discussion after the due date, the past discussion posts were hidden from them.  The administrator and instructor can see all discussions, but students cannot even see posts from other students in their own group including replies to the main question and replies to students.  I tried removing the Available Until date, but this did not change the visibility of the posts.  I also disabled the Users must post before seeing replies option, but this also did not change anything.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  This does not seem like the intended behavior of the discussion.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Support was able to explain some of this.  If the group members are changed after the discussion has started, Canvas reverts to the most restrictive access rights and prevents the students from seeing any of the past posts.  I did, however, find a workaround.  I created a new course role based on the student role and added Groups - View All Student Groups access right and updated the role of all students to include this.  All students are now in the Student role and in the new role.  Students are now able to see any discussion posts regardless of their group membership.  There is some trickle down effects because any student can access any group's area, but it is only for this course.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

cjohnson@lfgsm.edu, for a group discussion students should only be able to see posts from fellow group members. Is it possible that students switched what groups they were originally in? 

This seems like a strange situation and it might be best if you contact Canvas Support to see if they can help figure it out. 

Kona

It may be because the system is set to delete every few weeks.

Community Member

Support was able to explain some of this.  If the group members are changed after the discussion has started, Canvas reverts to the most restrictive access rights and prevents the students from seeing any of the past posts.  I did, however, find a workaround.  I created a new course role based on the student role and added Groups - View All Student Groups access right and updated the role of all students to include this.  All students are now in the Student role and in the new role.  Students are now able to see any discussion posts regardless of their group membership.  There is some trickle down effects because any student can access any group's area, but it is only for this course.

View solution in original post

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found out!

Surveyor II

Just had this issue today and the problem was that the Module and the discussion were not published. Teacher was unsure how they became unpublished so you might want to check that.