Students Verifying Submissions

Jump to solution
bkrutz55
Community Member

A teacher asked me the following 2 questions relating to assignment submissions.

1) Are students able to see ALL of their submissions for an assignment, rather than just the most recent submission? Sometimes they get confused. Sometimes they have to turn in several things for one assignment. This makes it difficult for them to keep track of what they have turned in or follow comments on their submitted work.

2) Should their "Not Turned In" button go off when we put in a grade? As it works right now, if they turn in something on paper and get a grade, the assignment still tells them it isn't turned it. This can pile up and stress them out, especially if their parents don't understand what is going on. They just see a missing assignment, regardless of if there is a grade.

I am a recent IT Director and not yet familiar with many Canvas behaviors .. 

Thank you for any insight!

Bill K

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @bkrutz55 ...

I can help answer the first question.  Yes, students are only able to see their most recent submission from their end.  Instructors are always able to see all submissions from a given student...which, you may know, are time and date stamped.  This is covered in: How do I view the details of a submission for a st... - Canvas Community (see the section on "Evaluate Multiple Submissions").

There is also something Canvas has called "Assignment Enhancements".  I'm not sure if your school's local Canvas administrator has turned this on for you and your colleagues yet, but from the screen shots in this document, it appears that students would be able to see their past submissions.  What is Assignment Enhancements? - Canvas Community  You may want to have a conversation with folks at your school to see if this is something they could investigate and do some testing on before they would turn it on for you and others at your school.

I hope this will be of some help.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post