cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zarox001
Community Member

Students can't see assignment details

Jump to solution

My canvas course MUS3242 has assignments that are published, however students do not see the details I have entered regarding each assignment. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @zarox001 

Like stefaniesanders‌, I think your module is unpublished. See image below....................

We see this a lot from new users, so double-check to make sure the actual module is published.305570_pastedImage_2.png

We see this a lot, so verify that your actual module is published and not just the content in the module. I don't think I have ever seen that error message be wrong in 6 years.

Let us know, please.

Kelley

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@zarox001 , the best way to check this is from your student view. Go to your course home and click the Student View Button on the right. Then see if you can see the assignment directions. 

One thing to warch out for, if you have an available from date (so whenn it opens), this could be impacting students ability to see the assignment directions. 

Kona

zarox001
Community Member

Hi Kona:

In my view the green dot is checked. It says it is available until Jan

30. This is telling me it is published.

I went into student view and it shows the assignment, says it is available

until Jan 30. After clicking on the assignment in student view this

message comes up:

The French Revolution - You tube Video.

This assignment is part of an unpublished module and is not available yet.

There is obviously a glitch in this system or I am a dumb as a box of

rocks! If you can help me out I really would appreciate it.

Wendy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:54 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

@zarox001 ‌, this message is the key: "This assignment is part of an unpublished module and is not available yet." That means that even though the assignment is published, the module in which it resides is not. Once you publish the module, students will be able to access the assignments and other content items in it.

Hi Kona:

I went into modules and it appears that I have published it. The green dot

is checked and it says it is published. Then I went into student view and

the same prompt comes up. What am I missing?

Thans for helping me.

Wendy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

@zarox001 , I have to emphasize that not only the assignment but also the module containing the assignment must be published. The message you received—""This assignment is part of an unpublished module and is not available yet."—is a clear indicator of an unpublished module. When you look to the right of the module title, you will see an indicator that looks like a Do Not Enter sign. Click on that to publish the module; the unpublished indicator will change to a green check mark.

It's all depicted here: How do I use Draft State in Modules? 

Hi  @zarox001 

Like stefaniesanders‌, I think your module is unpublished. See image below....................

We see this a lot from new users, so double-check to make sure the actual module is published.305570_pastedImage_2.png

We see this a lot, so verify that your actual module is published and not just the content in the module. I don't think I have ever seen that error message be wrong in 6 years.

Let us know, please.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Thanks for all your help. It appears checked now through the Module

portal. I did not check it however. Did you do that?

So for my next assignment, I have to go in and hand check the upper green

dot each time? It will appear in the student view on the 30th. On that

day, do I hand check it?

Wendy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:42 PM kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

Hi again,  @zarox001 

If you have set content to become available to students on a specified date, just keep it published.  Students will see that the content is there before it becomes available, but they can't interact with it.

I would not recommend unpublishing it and hoping you remember to publish it on the date it becomes available - too many opportunities to forget, and especially so for old fools like myself who have no memory left.

Kelley

HAHAHAHAH! ME TOO!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Wendy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:11 PM Kelley L. Meeusen <instructure@jiveon.com>