Students not receiving assingment comment emails

Jump to solution
swolz
Community Explorer

I'm wondering if anyone has had issues regarding receiving email comments into student accounts. Our students are not allowed to get emails from outside of the district, unless the address has been approved. Our IT dept. has confirmed that notifications@instructure.com has been allowed. Students get invitations to new courses, and students even get Confirmation emails when verifying emails through settings. Parent emails do get notifications regarding comments on assignments.

I've got a test account set up, with every single notification both Course level and Global level set to immediate notifications, but yet, when a teacher makes a comment on an assignment, the student is not notified.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
nsweeten
Community Contributor

To my knowledge, you can set notifications to go out, but individual users determine whether or not they receive them.

I usually include a Canvas setup assignment with 4 +parts:

• Set notifications (strongly recommending students receive Announcements immediately, and whatever else will figure prominently while reducing clutter/glut. Students will ignore when they get too many.)
  • Check the forwarding email where Canvas notifications go in your User Account settings  (Your institution's Canvas Admin setup may send these off into the ether to an unused email and students may not get them. Find out early and show students where to fix it themselves by linking Canvas Guides in the Assignment Instructions area.)
  • "Email" your instructor using the Canvas Inbox
  • Submit a test assignment, usually a text box entry with directions to type the word "Complete."
  • Optional: Add a picture or image to your account.  More personal and human, even that tiny!

😀

View solution in original post