cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Students not seeing equations in quizzes and tests

We recently had an issue where students had a problem seeing the equations in our math placement tests. The question would appear, but where the equation should appear was empty space. The issue seems to have been confined to the Safari browser, but we've now had a student who experienced a similar problem using Chrome in a biology class.

Instructure Support has identified an issue with LaTeX images when viewed through Safari 11 that they think caused the problem. (I am still trying to get information from students as to which version of Safari they are using.) The issue seems to have been resolved in Safari 12, but I was wondering if any other schools have experienced this issue, and if you have, whether it's been confined to Safari 11.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

We also have instructors reporting this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer

We also have an instructor reporting this problem for a student using Safari 11.1.  Thanks for the tip to update to version 12.  The image the student couldn't see was inline with text (he included a screenshot), but when an image was in a separate paragraph it was visible.   I will ask them to report this problem to Instructure.

Highlighted

Hi nwebb@ccsf.edu, twilliamson@sdccd.edu‌, and glathrop@rider.edudid your issue get resolved?

If so, are you able to share how?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌ - we just told the student to upgrade to the latest version of Safari. Haven't heard of a problem since. We recommend students use Chrome or Firefox, but if you look at the recommended browser information page Safari 12 and 13 are supported too https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10720-which-browsers-does-canvas-support .   All students need to be told to keep their browsers and apps updated, true for all of us!

Labels