cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinw
Community Member

Students now being blocked when landing on unpublished content while scrolling through module lessons

Jump to solution

My org uses unpublished content to provide teachers tips to educators. It used to be the case that as students selected "next" and scrolled through the lesson, they would skip over the unpublished pages and go straight into the published pages. Now students, when they hit next, are being blocked from seeing the unpublished pages and can't go through the lesson. 

Why is this happening? Is anyone else experiencing this? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevinw
Community Member

Canvas support got back to me, they had to bump it up to L2. 

Apparently, there is an issue with blueprints, where if blueprints and mastery paths are on in the same course, it causes this behavior. The short-term solution for me was to turn off mastery paths in this course since they didn't need to be on anyways. Canvas has a solution in beta right now that should fix this. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bcc11d
Community Member

Can't say that I have experienced this, but perhaps until the issue has been resolved maybe you could move any "unpublished" materials to another module or section beyond what the students scroll through? This may create a slight inconvenience for teachers but should avoid the issue when it comes to students. Sorry I can't help other than making suggestions. 

kevinw
Community Member

That thought did come to my mind, but it could be a huge hassle, especially if it's something Canvas can get fixed quickly. 

We have a 'Teacher's Table of Contents' page that has all of the lessons and tips hyperlinked, so it would require some migraine-headache-level re-organization. 

But the fact that you're not experiencing this send up a little bit of a red-flag to me because that means it's not a system-wide change, but something related specifically to our instance of Canvas. 

Hi  @kevinw ‌ I experienced this yesterday while working with a faculty member. 

Did you find the problem/solution?

MattHanes
Lamplighter

I think it might be a good idea to report this to Support so they can investigate it as a potential bug. I tested it out in one of my courses using student view and it behaved the way it supposed to. It just skipped over the unpublished stuff and took the student view to the next published item.

kevinw
Community Member

Thank you. I've already done this. I was just hoping the community had a quick and easy fix, which it usually does. 

kevinw
Community Member

Canvas support got back to me, they had to bump it up to L2. 

Apparently, there is an issue with blueprints, where if blueprints and mastery paths are on in the same course, it causes this behavior. The short-term solution for me was to turn off mastery paths in this course since they didn't need to be on anyways. Canvas has a solution in beta right now that should fix this. 

View solution in original post