Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Students seeing each other in BigBlueButton

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are well and safe.

I have one question about BigBlueButton. Can students see each other in the conferences when they turn their cameras on? Or only the teacher? I always assumed they could see each other. But some students told me that they could only see the teacher and not each other. 

Thank you so much,

Belén

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi belen.rojas@learnlight.com and pmcelwaine@holyfamily.edu. Because of the dramatic increase in usage of Conferences, BigBlueButton (the default Canvas Conferences provider), has temporarily turned off the ability for students to see each other's webcam feeds. The instructor/presenter and any moderators can still see the students camera feeds. This was done to prevent the students from having a degraded conference experience based on too many camera feeds being sent to every other student in the conference.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello, I would also like to know if all students can see themselves using the Big Blue Button, for the class I am teaching, student interaction and being able to see each other would be better instead of just being able to speak to each other. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi belen.rojas@learnlight.com and pmcelwaine@holyfamily.edu. Because of the dramatic increase in usage of Conferences, BigBlueButton (the default Canvas Conferences provider), has temporarily turned off the ability for students to see each other's webcam feeds. The instructor/presenter and any moderators can still see the students camera feeds. This was done to prevent the students from having a degraded conference experience based on too many camera feeds being sent to every other student in the conference.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I tried with a few of my students putting them all as moderator and it

worked, this was a test with only 3 other students, not sure if I'm

limited putting students as moderators though.

Thank you for getting back to me!!

Hope you and your family are safe and doing well!

Pat

Highlighted

Thank you so much, Adam Smiley Happy

Please stay safe. 

Belén

Highlighted

Dear Adam,

I've just received feedback that students were able to see each other. Is this functionality restored indeed?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best,

Chantal

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello!

Was this ever resolved or confirmed? We are still getting reports that this may be happening in our Conferences. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Adam,

How to turn off the ability for students to see each other's webcam feeds? Moderators should still see the students.
Is there any param we can use while calling the bigbluebutton api?
I am using bigbluebutton 2.2 and I need to implement this such that the students dont have a degraded conference experience.

Thanks,

Joy

joybanerjee88@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I would like my students to see each other. . When will this issue be fixed. Please don’t copy and paste: Because of the increased......

I just want to know if I need to request my district find a better solution for prek or will this soon be addressed?! 

Thsnk you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I'm a student and so wondering if the instructor can see my Webcam without me knowing.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels