cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_morton
Community Member

Students submitting Shockwave files

Jump to solution

I have students creating .swf (Shockwave files) using Adobe Flash and wanting them to submit them to Canvas. I want to be able to see the files run, without having to download them. Has anyone been able to do this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone running across this thread, Adobe has announced that it will stop updating and distributing flash at the end of 2020, and is advising content creators to move their content to other open formats as detailed in Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog 

Each iteration of the Release Notes‌ includes this statement:

Flash Content Reminder: Canvas displays Flash content as supported within major browsers. Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox default to HTML5 as the preferred method for displaying website content, which promotes a faster, more secure browsing experience. These browsers will eventually block all Flash content. For best performance in Canvas, course content should be designed to support HTML5. Any affected content can still be accessed by manually allowing permission for flash content in the browser.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Surveyor

Hi there,  @mike_morton !

I'm not sure specifically with .swf files, but take a look at a blog I wrote - Media Submission Types and SpeedGrader. In order to get media items to play in SpeedGrader, you cannot use the file upload feature. And .swf is not a supported video type (What types of media files can I upload in Canvas as a student?), so your students most likely won't be able to upload as a media assignment.

Is there any way your students can convert their flash file into a supported video? Or is their flash file interactive?

kschneider25
Adventurer

I was looking around and I don't see an active feature idea for the submission of .swf files into SpeedGrader.  Create a feature idea and see if it can get added into Canvas!

I tried to create a feature idea but the "new ideas" section went to a web

page that wasn't there.

Mike

Mike Morton

Edmond Santa Fe High School

*Business, Credit Recovery, Ruff Draft Adviser (@SFHS_RuffDraft

@sfwolves_sports)*

Asst. Girl's Golf

APEX Site Coordinator

(405) 726-7410 office (405) 330-7370 fax

*"If we're doing the best we can every day and we're doing it in a

first-class manner so that when I go home a night I can lay my head on the

pillow and God would be pleased with the decisions I made, how I treated

players and the coaches, the media, my wife and kids, I'm OK with that." --

Mark Richt (head football coach, Univ. of Miami)*

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:20 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

@mike_morton  - If you click on "Actions" in the upper right hand corner of the page, then select "Idea" you should be able to create the idea. Let me know if this doesn't work for you!

Found it... thanks (had to login... lol)

Mike

Mike Morton

Edmond Santa Fe High School

*Business, Credit Recovery, Ruff Draft Adviser (@SFHS_RuffDraft

@sfwolves_sports)*

Asst. Girl's Golf

APEX Site Coordinator

(405) 726-7410 office (405) 330-7370 fax

*"If we're doing the best we can every day and we're doing it in a

first-class manner so that when I go home a night I can lay my head on the

pillow and God would be pleased with the decisions I made, how I treated

players and the coaches, the media, my wife and kids, I'm OK with that." --

Mark Richt (head football coach, Univ. of Miami)*

Happens to the best of us! 

Since you are going to submit a Feature Idea for this, I'm going to go ahead and mark  @kschneider25 ‌'s answer as correct. If you feel that is incorrect, we can go from there!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone running across this thread, Adobe has announced that it will stop updating and distributing flash at the end of 2020, and is advising content creators to move their content to other open formats as detailed in Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog 

Each iteration of the Release Notes‌ includes this statement:

Flash Content Reminder: Canvas displays Flash content as supported within major browsers. Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox default to HTML5 as the preferred method for displaying website content, which promotes a faster, more secure browsing experience. These browsers will eventually block all Flash content. For best performance in Canvas, course content should be designed to support HTML5. Any affected content can still be accessed by manually allowing permission for flash content in the browser.

View solution in original post

Hi Stefanie,

Thank you for that information. Since the SCORM packages we import now require the students to run flash, is there a plan in place for Canvas to support these packages in HTML 5? I don't know a lot about how that works, so I hope my question makes sense.

cfelton, this is not my area of expertise either, but I do not think this is a Canvas issue per se; it’s going to be a function of whether the SCORM content provider allows you to create the content in an HTML5 format. If you create the content in HTML5, Canvas already supports it; if you bring over Flash-based SCORM content, it’s only going to be supported to the extent and as long as the browser allows it.