cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashok_thapa
Adventurer

Students unable to send media files.

Hi, We allow students to send media files recording their work and progress as per assignment tasks. Thought that this would be easier to measure the progress and mark the work.

This however has not been so efficient as students are facing trouble uploading and submitting the work. May be internet issue because most of the students are travelling (Dis Ed). Some still having the same issues even based at home.

I would appreciate any help in resolving and making the process smooth.

5 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ashok_thapa .  Like you my first thought is that this is an internet connectivity issue, particularly if the recordings are long.  Do you know what type of problem they are encountering (recording problems, recording works fine but the upload fails, etc.)?  Several weeks ago I was recording feedback to students and my recorder kept stopping. I felt that this could be do to internet issues and tried recording the next day from home.  Here the recorder didn't stop, but I found that I had to wait a surprisingly long time for the video to load.  I would record and when finished, need to work on something else for a while until the media loaded in Canvas.  At first I thought that the loading process was stuck but confirmed over the course of a number of recordings that it just took a long time to finish.

I'm not sure if any of this is what your students are facing, but if there are any remaining issues I would contact Support and report this issue.  Regardless of the underlying cause, Support should be able to help find a resolution or look further into what may be happening.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ashok,

One other thought I had in addition to what ericwerth‌ mentioned is that the students may have exceeded their quotas depending on how they are sending the media files.  If they are sending them as attachments to InBox messages or discussions, or submitting them as files to assignments they will count against the individual students' quotas.  I think they get an error, but I've also seen it just stop working once they are over the limit.

If they are submitting them using the actual media submission option it should not count against their quota and that is the recommended method.

How do I submit a media file as an assignment submission?  

How do I attach a media comment to a message as a student? 

How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor as a student? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16007-42121018962 

Rick

Hi  @rmurchshafer 

I have been advised that student submissions are not counted for the course file size quota from Canvas Support. Still not sure what is the fix. 

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ashok_thapa .  I was reviewing older questions and thought I would see if you every found a solution to the problem you reported.

Thanks for the update!

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ashok_thapa , 

Since there has been no update to this question in a while, I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered". This doesn't change the ability to post to the thread in the future and the status can be altered later if appropriate.

All the best!