cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

Studio grading in Canvas

The vast majority of us do our grading in secret, in private, and thoroughly 1:1, teacher to student. And many of us even think we have to do it that way for FERPA reasons (you don't, I checked.)

Several years ago dathomas​ and Patrick Lowenthal wrote Death to the Digital Dropbox: Rethinking Student Privacy and Public Performance,

which challenges the assumptions that grading has to, or even should be done this way. It's an interesting article backed by good research and real-course observation.

What does the Community think of this approach? Have you opened up your feedback to a more public forum, and if so how did it work out? If not, would you try it?

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@dlyons ​, thank you so much for starting this discussion, and for providing the link to that wonderful article. All of the courses I've taught in Canvas have been fully online, and I strive to create analogues between how something is done in a face-to-face classroom and how it is done in a fully online course. More times than I can count, I've heard "because FERPA" in response to suggestions for enhancing the visibility of students' online submissions and feedback thereto (see, for example, the discussion surrounding , a popular feature idea that is currently in the "Gathering Info" stage). I look forward to reading what others have to say.

Final grades are protected by FERPA, not transient grades. Smiley Wink But that aside, feedback is not protected so that can definitely be done in "public" even if you didn't reveal the actual grade. Plus this obviously doesn't have to be binary; feedback that feels like it would be better suited to a private channel can be done in private still even if you default to public.