cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Submissions download using Canvas API

Jump to solution

I have been working on an application to do some of the work in grading my students' computer science programming assignments. I would like to have the application access their submissions in Canvas and download them. I previously had them use a shared DropBox folder and lately have been experimenting with an upload script for Google Drive. All in all, it would be better if I could have the application directly access their submissions in Canvas.

I looked at the Canvas API  documentation, but it was not clear that the API could download their submission files. Has anyone out there done this? I will be using curllib for the development work.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

ldavis2@palomar.edu‌, yes, this is possible by using the Submissions API.

Provided you are using an API token which corresponds to a user with course or administrative permissions to download submissions, a response to a GET of file upload submissions will include items containing "attachments" values. Within each of those "attachments," the "url" value is an HTTPS URL which can be used by your application to download the corresponding submission.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ldavis2@palomar.edu,

First, I would like to apologize for your question sitting in the Community for so long without a response.  Second, if you have not already found an answer (if you have, please share it with the community Smiley Happy), I would recommend posting your question in this group https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=7209a58a-006e-4d4b-9678-ee33d47a006....  They might have the expertise that you are looking for.

Robbie

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ldavis2@palomar.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Navigator

ldavis2@palomar.edu‌, yes, this is possible by using the Submissions API.

Provided you are using an API token which corresponds to a user with course or administrative permissions to download submissions, a response to a GET of file upload submissions will include items containing "attachments" values. Within each of those "attachments," the "url" value is an HTTPS URL which can be used by your application to download the corresponding submission.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Not sure if you are still interested in the answer to easily download student submissions, but if you are see JollyFeedback - An Automated Feedback System  

The Canvas API wI’ll get you to json files for with URLs for each student submission, but processing the json file, downloading each of the submissions and putting them in their own subdirectory does take a bit of work.

See if the above link helps and if it does not work out of the box for you, email me and I might be able to customize it so it does work for more people.

Yusuf