cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve_simpson
Community Member

Submitting Images Best Practice

I am running an AVID course and want a better way for students to take and submit images from a chromebook in assignments.  Here is the basic problem we are running into: 

At the end of the Tutorial, each student needs to quickly take a picture of their notes and submit them as an assignment.  The text editor does not allow images to be copied into it, and neither does it allow for images to be added from the camera (just from Canvas, flickr, or URL), so that way is out.  The media upload only allows audio and video, so that's out (taking a one second video of a sheet of notes is not an option-as we've tried).  The Google Drive option requires so many clicks and steps that is out.  

Barring a request for feature idea, does anybody have a solution?  Right now, I've settled on two options.

1. Students open a google docs, insert image, press snapshot and submit the google file from google drive after authorizing drive.  This has the advantage of keeping the annotation tools in speedgrader

2. Use the google cloud doc LTI (but students still need to open the document in a new tab because the photo uploader doesn't work within the LTI embedded environment).  This has the advantage of a submit button, but lacks the annotation tools in speedgrader.  

Both of these options are workarounds for a seemingly simple task.  

I would love to have the media tab include images, which seems like a real design oversight.

7 Replies
abunag
Surveyor

If you're talking about them submitting it to an assignment, could you just do it as a file upload?  they save it under whatever image format works (such as .jpg), then upload the file.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @steve_simpson ‌...

I was thinking along the same lines as  @abunag ‌.  Why not choose the "File Uploads" option when you are creating the assignment for your students?  (See the bottom of How do I create an online assignment?)  Since I've never used a Chromebook myself, I don't know if this will work, but I did find a link for you that might help when saving files: Open, save, or delete files & downloads - Chromebook Help.

Please let us know if this solution would work for you.  Thanks Steve.

Thanks.  The file upload workflow does indeed work.  However, the steps are somewhat laborious.  The student 1) clicks launcher->all apps-> next page-> camera->opens the camera app 2) takes a picture 3) must then save the file to the chromebook gallery from the camera 4) click the file button in canvas 5) then find the file and then upload it.

Then the final image doesn't scale well in speedgrader and is in landscape format.  Plus step 3 is a frustrating step for new users, as it is not intuitive.  Below is the media uploader, which indeed turns on the camera, but only allows audio or video uploads.  

I will submit a feature request.  In the meantime, it's 10 clicks a kid.

215012_pastedImage_1.png

steve simpson wrote:

Thanks.  The file upload workflow does indeed work.  However, the steps are somewhat laborious.  The student 1) clicks launcher->all apps-> next page-> camera->opens the camera app

This part can be simplified. Have whoever manages your Chromebooks pin the camera app to the taskbar. Alternatively, after opening the launcher, they can just start typing "camera."

3) must then save the file to the chromebook gallery from the camera

The pictures should be saved to the Chromebook automatically. They shouldn't have to be saved to the "chromebook gallery" as an extra step.

4) click the file button in canvas 5) then find the file and then upload it.     

Yep, this is the same for everyone. So, what we should be left with is:

1. Click the camera app in the taskbar.

2. Take a picture.

3. Upload it to Canvas wherever it needs to go.

And those steps are pretty standard for all users.

Then the final image doesn't scale well in speedgrader and is in landscape format.

I've heard this from our faculty. It seems to be a problem from various device types and the way they display/submit images to other services. I think there is probably good evidence for the need of someway to manipulate images within Canvas, regardless of how they were submitted. Resizing, rotating, and annotating seem to be popular topics of discussion for SpeedGrader image functionality.

Short of using an old-fashioned scanner (which is way more than 10-click frustrating), this is the world we live in with digitizing documents. There are apps like Google Drive and OneDrive that help with processing photos intended to be used to "scan" a document. You might find some in the Chrome Web Store that work well, and have your favorite installed by the person who manages your Chromebooks. This could add a few more steps but address the usability problem of the submissions in SpeedGrader.

I will explore #1 more, as that would save a few clicks.  It has been my experience for #3 that the chromebook cameras do not automatically download pictures.  They have to be manually downloaded from the camera gallery when you "save to disk."  I don't know if this is a setting that can be altered or not.  

It would be great if students didn't have to leave Canvas to complete such a routine task, as leaving the LMS and then getting back in is a "workaround."  Canvas is being marketed as a K-12 solution, and if engineers can save a few clicks here and there, all the while making it more intuitive, then more teachers will likely find ways to incorporate it into their daily work.  

I will review the topics related to images and see where the situation stands.  Thank you.

janieruddy
Instructure
Instructure

I too have not worked in a Chromebook but I have worked with several different faculty members as a trainer who do use Chromebooks.  I understand the limitation in ensuring the pic ends up in the file area that can be accessed when submitting to an assignment.  What about taking a screenshot?  I have attached a picture of the two buttons needed to take a screenshot on a Chromebook.  The screenshot would then automatically go to the File and then can be accessed when submitting the pic in an assignment.214660_Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.57.47 PM.png

The screenshot does indeed remove a step, as the file goes straight into the drive.  However, holding a sheet of paper steady while pressing two buttons with the other hand might be rough for middle school kids.