Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbickel1
Community Member

Survey results keep indicating 'correct answers are hidden'

Jump to solution

Good morning,

I'm an admin testing various quiz options and I've run across an issue I can't seem to fix. I'm creating a Likert Scale, following the tutorial here: How do I create Likert scale quiz questions? 

It uses a multiple drop-down answer format, and whether its a graded or ungraded survey, you are not given the option to indicate a "correct answer" (which is correct, that's how its supposed to work). However, in my "student" results, I get a message saying the "Correct answers are hidden". If I go into quiz details and check the box "Let Students See the Correct Answers", the results come back and indicate that the "correct answer" is defaulted to the first answer. In this case, the default would be "Strongly Agree". A survey does not allow you to select any Possible Answer as the correct one. The arrows are grayed out, all are listed as Possible answers, not Correct Answers.

I shouldn't be getting any message about "correct answers hidden" on a survey. I've played around with a lot of settings at this point, but I still end up seeing "Correct answers are hidden". I don't want students to fill out a survey and then be told that they somehow missed the "correct" answer. Anyone have a solution for this?

I've attached some screenshots.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hbickel1 and welcome to the Community!  I see that you also posted this question on the document page, How do I create Likert scale quiz questions?.  It looks like someone from the docs team replied.  I would agree that this would be something good to notify Canvas Support about so they can look into what it would take to remove this notification from a survey.

All the best!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hbickel1 and welcome to the Community!  I see that you also posted this question on the document page, How do I create Likert scale quiz questions?.  It looks like someone from the docs team replied.  I would agree that this would be something good to notify Canvas Support about so they can look into what it would take to remove this notification from a survey.

All the best!

View solution in original post

I'd like to add to this question. I have had the same problem. In particular, when creating a survey you can enter points per question,but again are not able to select a 'correct' answer. While students who completed the survey did get the full credit assigned to the survey, the results award points per question which isn't determined logically. I agree with this original post, the survey seems to automatically assume the first response is the correct response, but with a true/false question the true is always first and therefore "correct". This is true of multiple answer questions as well. This is causing confusion for students because it shows them they got 0/#, when that isn't necessarily the case. As a survey, either there should be no point values attached to each question, or "correct" answers should be allowed to be selected. Any suggestions? Eric Werth, you mentioned to contact Canvas support - would that be my institution's support team or Canvas' support team? Thanks!

Hi  @kspader   To answer your question, I was referring to the Canvas Support team not the one at your institution.  In Heather's post, she describes how when one reviews the survey results, for some question types the results visible to an instructor indicate what percent of students answered the question correctly even though there is no correct/incorrect response to a survey.  This does seem strange and Canvas Support should look into why this is being displayed.  

Being said, as far as I can tell this is NOT shown to students, at least not normally.  If you create a practice or graded quiz, after students complete the assessment it will tell them what they answered right/wrong.  However, if you create an ungraded or graded survey, it should not tell students they missed any questions.  If students are told that they missed points on a survey, it may be that the settings are actually set to "quiz".  I have checked some sample students from one of my classes, and even from their view with a survey there doesn't appear to be an indication that correct answers are hidden or that they missed something.  Being said, there are a lot of question types and it is possible that if one of these are selected the behavior may be different, but if students are missing points on a survey or can see that they answered the question "incorrectly" or that the correct answers are hidden, I am confident that Canvas Support would love a help ticket submitted so they can look at the survey and see what is going on.

I hope this helps!

Thank you. It is sometimes difficult to know what students see vs. what instructors/designers see. I have tested my issue as a student and discovered that I still see "!Correct answers are hidden" (see image below), but the individual questions do not show any point values associated with them <-- that is good, because that was what I was seeing from my preview results and was worried students would see as well.

323973_pastedImage_1.png

That is strange  @kspader  and agree that it doesn't make sense for a warning about correct answers being hidden in a survey where this isn't a right/wrong response!  It might not be bad to bring this to the attention of Canvas Support so they are aware of the behavior, but these surveys are part of the old quiz engine.  "New quizzes" or Quizzes.Next does not have survey functionality yet but it is one of the items on the list to bring the new system up to parity with the legacy quiz engine.  Maybe when New Quizzes has a survey option this warning won't appear.  It will be definitely something I check on when that time arrives!

Thanks for the post!

As to your question about the submission results indicating "Correct answers are hidden," I discovered just now that this occurs when the option to "Let students see the correct answers" is unchecked. If you check that option, even if the questions have no correct answers or assigned point values, the message is no longer displayed upon survey submission.

Thank you for solving this problem!  For anyone else confused about this...you need to check "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" and then you can check "Let Students See The Correct Answers".

ssweta
Surveyor

Hi Eric, I am trying to create a feedback form for students in my course. I have few queries around it:

• I need to create a Ungraded survey or a graded survey?
  • The questions will have 1 to 5 scale for satisfaction level, these will be created as multiple answers or multiple dropdown, as all 1-5 options are correct answer, based on individual's feedback.
  • I hope Canvas will not flash a comment saying wrong answer when user selects any of these!

Regards,

Somya

Hi  @ssweta .  If you would like to create a feedback survey, I would go to the Quizzes tab and create a graded survey.  Surveys (graded or ungraded) do not have right/wrong answers but in my experience more students complete a survey if it is graded.  With a graded survey, as soon as they submit the survey they will get full credit.  

For response options, either a drop-down menu or standard M/C question should work equally well.  I prefer a M/C question when I create surveys.  If you use either a graded or ungraded survey, students will not be told that their responses are either correct or incorrect.

I have had great success with feedback surveys in my class.  I hope this information helps as you develop these for your own courses!

All the best---