cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Syllabus Without Assignments

Jump to solution

Is there a way to eliminate the assignment listing in the Syllabus tool?  I would like to use the syllabus without the assignments, dates, etc. showing at the bottom.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

bwaters@pensacolastate.edu​,

If you have access to edit your CSS, you can hide that portion of the syllabus page by adding the following code:

#syllabusContainer{

display: none;

}

This will remove the bottom table showing the assignments and leave only the text/information top section.

Here's a screenshot of a course in beta showing the table:

2016-01-25 11.37.24 am.png

Here's a screenshot of the same course after I added the CSS code above.  As you can see, I also edited the text and it still showed.

2016-01-25 11.44.11 am.png

As a word of caution, I did not do extensive testing to see if the div id "syllabusContainer" is used anywhere else in the Canvas system, so that code could end up hiding other information elsewhere. However, it seems to me that this id is used exclusively for this page.

View solution in original post

39 Replies
Surveyor

I haven't found a way.  I'd suggest if this is how you want it to appear, create a content page with your syllabus content and call it "Syllabus", then hide the syllabus button from the left sidebar.

Highlighted

Yes, I can certainly do that. But I want to make the syllabus public. We are trying to find a way to make course information (at the section level) available to students prior to registration. Five different instructors teaching ENG 1101 may have different teaching styles, assignments, etc., and we would like to offer students the ability to shop for the one that suits them best before they register -- without logging into Canvas. That can be done by selecting the “Make the syllabus for this course publicly visible” option. However, the list of assignment titles and dates that is forced with this option can be messy and confusing to new students. A simple toggle switch allowing one to turn the list of assignments on/off would be useful.

Highlighted

bwaters@pensacolastate.edu​...

Have you considered creating a separate course shell that only has the Syllabus information that you want and then making that "public"?  The course shell wouldn't have any assignments or students in it.  Yes, it would be one more course shell to keep up-to-date, but it would solve the issue of not displaying all the assignments below.  Would that be a possible solution for you?

Highlighted

I guess one could do that but like you said, it's one more thing to maintain. I seems to me the most logical way to achieve this is to make the assignment section an option (at the course level) rather than a requirement. I'm still hoping to see this feature implemented one day.

Highlighted

At USU, we built an LTI tool that gathers syllabus usage data for Canvas. One of the benefits of this tool is that departments can embed a filtered list of their courses in an iframe on their website where students can come view the contents of the syllabus. The data about which courses has a syllabus is stored in a MySQL database, but the syllabus that is displayed is pulled live using the /api/v1/courses/:course_id?include[]=syllabus_body API call. syllabusTracker.gif

If you want to use Canvas for this, there are a couple of ways that you can do this there are a couple of options using the global CSS or the global JavaScript route. The problem with these routes is that it will apply to students looking at the course as well as students enrolled in the course.

Using Course ID (needs to be updated each semester)

CSS

You can take what canvas.admin@rts.edu​, said and refine it to a specific course. Each course page in Canvas has a class on the body tag that is unique to that course (example: context-course_406600). You could add a line for each course class.

JavaScript

1. You could create an array of course IDs and hide the assignments list in the syllabus for each of the listed courses.
  2. Add an element ID to something in the syllabus and use JavaScript to hide the assignments if that ID exists.

My preferred approach

You could create a JavaScript function that hides the assignments list if the current user is a student and is not enrolled in the current course. This would be a little tricky to write but should not require any future maintenance. It would be a global implementation but would only impact students who are not in the course as opposed to removing that functionality for students who do choose to enroll in the course.

Highlighted
Community Member

bwaters@pensacolastate.edu​,

If you have access to edit your CSS, you can hide that portion of the syllabus page by adding the following code:

#syllabusContainer{

display: none;

}

This will remove the bottom table showing the assignments and leave only the text/information top section.

Here's a screenshot of a course in beta showing the table:

2016-01-25 11.37.24 am.png

Here's a screenshot of the same course after I added the CSS code above.  As you can see, I also edited the text and it still showed.

2016-01-25 11.44.11 am.png

As a word of caution, I did not do extensive testing to see if the div id "syllabusContainer" is used anywhere else in the Canvas system, so that code could end up hiding other information elsewhere. However, it seems to me that this id is used exclusively for this page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This is interesting Mark. Are you doing this at the institution level or course level?

Bill

Highlighted

I mainly do my code at the institution level for several reasons. 

You, or your admin, could put your courses in a special sub-account and apply your specific CSS/JS needs at the sub-account level.  Here's a guide to that: How do I add custom JavaScript and CSS files to a sub-account?

However, when it comes to one or 2 specific courses, I'm not sure how to accomplish that. There should be a way to accomplish that at a course level using JavaScript, but i'm not that technically proficient, sorry.

I'll yield the floor to others who are much better at this than I am:  kenneth.larsen@usu.edu​, james@richland.edu​, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu​ 

Highlighted

Not surprised. We suspected you were working at the institution level. Not sure we want to do that at this point. Thanks for the input though. Very helpful.