cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Syllabus Without Assignments

Jump to solution

Is there a way to eliminate the assignment listing in the Syllabus tool?  I would like to use the syllabus without the assignments, dates, etc. showing at the bottom.

39 Replies
Highlighted

Robert,

I was asking about the latter.  I could not think of a way to produce a button or dropdown for faculty to simply click to embed the code.   In any case, I thank you for the code you shared.

Highlighted

Thanks for the clarification. Seems doable, with the API, update a Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Would have to:

1. collect the syllabus body
  2. check if the setting (code) is already there, remove/update it, and append the new code
  3. then resubmit the syllabus body back to the API

Along with where to put the drop down?

I'm always torn between the amount of code/effort to make things easier and what's necessary to get things done. Is it simply for easy access or are users hesitant of HTML?

Highlighted

dwillmore@stchas.edu, and anyone else interested.

Is this positioning OK for handling the HTML snippet in the bottom of the Syllabus Body?

294088_Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 4.03.08 PM.png

Highlighted

That positioning looks great.

Highlighted

Looking for feedback.

It takes extra consideration to make this work in the HTML editor vs RCE, either one requires different code. I've made it work in the RCE by default, do we care if it works when the HTML editor is active, or should I just provide a friendly warning to go back to the RCE?

Highlighted

Trying to remove the Course Summary: <h2>

However, it's position is #content > h2, with no class or id, making it difficult to remove with Specificity.

let assignments = document.getElementById('syllabusContainer');
let summary_h2 = assignments.previousElementSibling;
// remove the assignments list
assignments.parentNode.removeChild(assignments);
// remove the h2
if(summary_h2.nodeName == 'H2') // && summary_h2.textContent === 'Course Summary:'
    summary_h2.parentNode.removeChild(summary_h2);‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

I'm trying to avoid string comparison, since it won't translate with language settings.

Playing with siblings... I'm cautious about removing siblings without meeting certain criteria.

let assignments = document.getElementById('syllabusContainer');
let summary_h2 = assignments.previousElementSibling;
let edit_form = document.getElementById('edit_course_syllabus_form');

// is the h2 between
assignments.previousElementSibling === summary_h2
&& summary_h2.previousElementSibling === edit_form
&& edit_form.nextElementSibling === summary_h2
// true‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Maybe a good candidate for requesting an additional class or id from Canvas?

Highlighted

Very, very nice.  I like how you are sharing and promoting dialog.

On this end the concern seems to be the presence of unpublished assignments in the teacher view with no indication as such.  Can I get a harumph?!   Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks Jeff.

You're seeing unpublished assignments on the syllabus assignments list?

Highlighted

Yes, for instructors unpublished assignments display on the syllabus page with no indicator.

"All assignments (unpublished and published) are listed in the syllabus for instructors, but students only see published assignments."

From <https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12831-415255577>

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I see... and there's no class difference either.

fernerj@erau.edu‌,

What would you do to unpublished assignments?