cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

I've seen syllabi with tabs on Canvas. I want to organize my syllabus with tabs. How do I do that? Here's a screenshot of a syllabus with tabs:

284746_pastedImage_1.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rcrichards@clintonschool.uasys.edu

This can be accomplished using HTML code, and the HTML Editor in the Syllabus Description area. Here is a code snippet that will work for this purpose.

<div class="enhanceable_content tabs">
<ul>
<li><a href="#fragment-1">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
<li><a href="#fragment-2">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
<li><a href="#fragment-3">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
</ul>
<div id="fragment-1">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE FIRST TAB HERE</div>
<div id="fragment-2">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE SECOND TAB HERE.</div>
<div id="fragment-3">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE THIRD TAB HERE</div>
</div>

Disclaimer: Canvas keeps threatening to deprecate this code, but it's been two or more years, an nothing yet.

This can also be accomplished with some third-party authoring tools that work with Canvas.

We have a full Canvas classroom of various HTML snippets that are easy to learn and easy to use that Instructure let us create called CanvasHacks Demo Course. If you would like to be added to the actual Canvas classroom, shoot me your email via DM, and I will hook you up. You can be added as either a teacher of a student.

Kelley

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rcrichards@clintonschool.uasys.edu

This can be accomplished using HTML code, and the HTML Editor in the Syllabus Description area. Here is a code snippet that will work for this purpose.

<div class="enhanceable_content tabs">
<ul>
<li><a href="#fragment-1">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
<li><a href="#fragment-2">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
<li><a href="#fragment-3">PUT TITLE FOR TAB HERE</a></li>
</ul>
<div id="fragment-1">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE FIRST TAB HERE</div>
<div id="fragment-2">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE SECOND TAB HERE.</div>
<div id="fragment-3">PUT THE CONTENT FOR THE THIRD TAB HERE</div>
</div>

Disclaimer: Canvas keeps threatening to deprecate this code, but it's been two or more years, an nothing yet.

This can also be accomplished with some third-party authoring tools that work with Canvas.

We have a full Canvas classroom of various HTML snippets that are easy to learn and easy to use that Instructure let us create called CanvasHacks Demo Course. If you would like to be added to the actual Canvas classroom, shoot me your email via DM, and I will hook you up. You can be added as either a teacher of a student.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for including the disclaimer, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu. I can go get my root canal as a happy camper now.

Highlighted

Oh man, james@richland.edu you get to have a root canal? How awesome is that? Some people just have a corner on the luck market.

Highlighted

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu,

I am lucky. It was the tooth that shattered the day before InstructureCon while in Colorado. Almost 4 hours emergency dental work at not-my-regular-dentist, very little covered by insurance, had to take out the tooth next to it because the shattered one was so weak they needed to splint the two together so it had something to hold on to. All this led to a temporary crown on two teeth that will get replaced once my dentist is done flipping his %&*# over what another dentist did to my teeth. He's overly protective that way.

Since we're educators and value the importance of learning from experiences, here's my take-away:

If you're going to go horseback riding in the mountains of Breckenridge and bite into a frozen candy bar and shatter your front tooth that your dentist is currently prepping for a root canal, make sure you are not 1000 miles from home.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

YES, THIS. 

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu,

What does "YES, THIS" mean? That we should move to Breckenridge so we're not 1000 miles from home the next time I bite into a frozen candy bar while horseback riding in the Breckenridge mountains? Remember next year's InstructureCon is in Long Beach, so moving to Breckenridge doesn't help out in that aspect. It would definitely make the daily commute a nightmare -- there are too many people on I-70 who pull into your lane without warning and almost sideswipe you for me to want to do it regularly.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach
If you're going to go horseback riding in the mountains of Breckenridge and bite into a frozen candy bar and shatter your front tooth that your dentist is currently prepping for a root canal, make sure you are not 1000 miles from home.

To be more specific, yes, THIS ^

Highlighted

But kona@richland.edu, if he followed that advice, then I would not have had this great learning opportunity!

Teachers must teach! Grasshoppers must learn!

Highlighted

And that is exactly why I call this a "Learning Community", james@richland.edu!

I've learned some great trips for traveling!

Kelley

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels