cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rblackmer
Community Member

Teacher ability to manually mark as missing or late

Jump to solution

A number of our teachers testing are asking for a feature that allows them to manually mark items as late or missing. They would like to just check a box and get the same auto color-coding as happens for electronically-submitted assignments.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Rebecca,

The grade detail tray allows an instructor to manually mark the status for an assignment, as noted in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13333-canvas-release-new-gradebook#jive_content_id_Grades_M.... That feature will be available in the production environment on Saturday. 

Hope that helps!

Erin

View solution in original post

5 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Rebecca,

The grade detail tray allows an instructor to manually mark the status for an assignment, as noted in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13333-canvas-release-new-gradebook#jive_content_id_Grades_M.... That feature will be available in the production environment on Saturday. 

Hope that helps!

Erin

View solution in original post

kimberly_smith1
Explorer III

When using the New Gradebook, is there a more global way to prevent the 'late' and 'missing' messages from displaying to students? Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but it appears that the 'missing/late labeling' feature has been reintroduced as the 'default’ in the New Gradebook, and that these status labels must be changed/removed 'after the fact', student-by-student for each assignment, using the grade detail tray. Do I have this right?

While I think it is important that instructors still see these labels, I do not want these labels displaying to my students - especially when these messages can be inaccurate. For example, I allow my students to choose from a number of assignments to complete from within most assignment groups - so those 'not done' assignments are not actually "missing". If there is not a more global option for this feature, then it seems the only way to prevent students from seeing these labels would be to go into each assignment, student-by-student, and select "No Status" before the assignment deadline. For now, in order to prevent the display of these labels to students, I have gone back to using the 'old' Gradebook for my courses. 

Importantly, when this 'late/missing label' feature was originally added and released for the 'old' gradebook (in late summer 2017), there were many of us who saw problems with its use - for a variety of pedagogical and/or logistical reasons:

Allow "Missing" label to be enabled/disabled 

Missing Label Placed Incorrectly/Submission on paper and online option 

No MISSING label for zero-point assignments  

Instructor override of missing submission badge 

Manually graded or "EX" assignments still show as missing 

Gradebook Dismay: The Thoughtless Tyranny of Red Ink 

In fact, Canvas later reversed it after just a couple of months:

Student Late and Missing Status Labels

The submission details page and student Grades page do not display labels for missing or late submissions. This change reverts the labels for students introduced in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-08-05) and helps minimize confusion for students when their instructors create online assignments that can be submitted online or on paper in class. Canvas always marks online assignments as missing when no submission is made.

Hi, Kimberly,

The feature ideas you've referenced have the same common theme: create a way to manually change the submission status for an assignment. That task has been completed and is supported in the New Gradebook, which in many cases may require updating multiple statuses individually.

The revert of the previous feature only applied to the existing gradebook, since it does not support the option to manually control submission labels. So you're correct in that perhaps the existing Gradebook is currently better suited for your needs.

If you're passionate about this topic, I'd recommend submitting a new feature idea specifically outlining your workflow and the result you're trying to achieve. Going through the new gradebook feature ideas, I am not able to find one that suggests creating a submission type that supports optional grading in the Gradebook. Our product team would be happy to review your idea.

Thank you!

Erin

Hello Erin,

Thank you for the clarification. I have submitted that feature request. 

I truely hope that the following comment does not come accross as rude, but it seems something important to mention. It sometimes feels like the comments posted to questions, and the solutions/new features being added to Canvas in response to requests (New Gradebook, Quizzes Next), do not necessarily consider the time required to manage our courses as a significant priority. Given the increasing rate at which educational institutions are moving to an "adjunct" faculty business model, one in which instructors are often paid only for the time they spend inside the actual classroom (and not for grading, prep time, emails, etc.), it seems important to consider instructor time management when constructing these features/solutions during programming. Thank you for your time.

kimberly_smith1
Explorer III

While the concerns have technically been addressed in the New Gradebook, the red "Missing" and "Late" labels can currently only be removed on a "student-by-student per assignment" basis. If interested, there is a related feature request open for voting:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status...