cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Terminating a user account

As a part of the usual day-to-day operations, teachers and staff go through periods of employment, at the end of which require some shutting down accounts in Canvas, now that we have joined the community.

Unless I missed it, the API was mum on how to do so automatically. The best solution I know so far, is to add a few random characters to the login account and password, this again has to be done manually, due to lack of API support.

Does anyone have a better solution thus far?

Matthew Kaiser

Systems Developer

IT Department

Midwestern University

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I found the API solution - never mind

Highlighted

Great news, mkaiser@midwestern.edu!

We will mark this as answered!

Kelley

Highlighted

Kelley - I need to reopen this ticket.

This solution I found only removes extra logins. Canvas requires I keep a single active login and the API's do not let me programmatically change the user login to disable the account when, say a teacher leaves employeement.  We use Single-Sign-On routines that leave the password redundant, so changing the password does nothing for us.

We are a fairly large organization and we really need this done automatically. 

Do you know of a way in the API's to allow me to change the user's login name?

Matthew 

Highlighted

mkaiser@midwestern.edu

I do not know an option for you; but then, I can't even spell API. I have asked a Community Manager to mark your question as unanswered, and will share it with the Canvas Developers Group who have expertise in this arena - I mean they have fought lions, tigers and bears in there!

Kelley

Highlighted

Can you specify what you want to happen when you "terminate" an account?

You can delete a user with an accounts, rather than user, endpoint (Accounts - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation).

You can also delete a user with a SIS import.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Matthew,

I'm not sure how your institution handles authentication, but we integrate Canvas with our own internal network authentication and identity management. Therefore, disabling user access happens at a higher level than myself, and whenever Identity Management determines that an employee's account is disabled it will update the databases I use for SIS Integration. Then, my daily employee import has a UNION that adds employees not marked as Active and appends -DISABLED to their username. If an employee returns, the account will be enabled when IDM determines they are Active, no additional work on my part. I do not manage passwords.

Highlighted

Hi Matthew ,

We do something very similar to Robert. Where we have our Canvas setup to use AD so you have to be enabled in AD to be able to log into Canvas.  But we took it one step further to where we have some custom javascript and custom css that removes the forgot password link on the Canvas login page as well as removes their ability to enter in an additional email address in the user settings page. 

Brian

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, mkaiser@midwestern.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  While I don't really have an answer for you myself, I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any activity in this topic since July 3, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to review all additional replies you've received in this thread?  Is this still an issue that you are needing assistance with?  Or, have you managed to find a solution?  If you've found a solution, would you be willing to share what you've learned back here in this topic?  Or, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know by posting a message below.  Alternatively, if you feel that one of the above answers has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark that person's answer as "Correct".  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Matthew.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels