cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcelesti
Community Member

Test question rewrites

How do I rewrite questions in existing test items in a midterm for  multiple sections of the course.

I want to update the test that is already published or in canvas.

2 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @rcelesti  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  When you say "multiple sections" I assume in this case you are not referencing the Canvas definition of multiple sections in that you are not teaching from ONE specific course site that has been divided into sections, but rather a class that has multiple individual course sites.  (Such HIST 101, sect 1 as one site, and then HIST 101, sect 2 as a separate site).  If I am misunderstanding this, let me know because there is another method that can be used.  (Which you may in fact also be able to figure out with some of the answers below).

Anyway, any quiz question that you have created on your own is "secretly" being saved in a Question Bank called Unfiled Questions.  You may want to take a bit of time and rename this bank in the original class.  General information on Question Banks starts here, and continues on for a few pages:  How do I create a question bank in a course? .  So basically, your Question Bank has already been created for you without your knowing it.

So, you will next want to head into the other section of your class, and IMPORT that entire question bank into the other section.  You can follow these general rules for doing this, but just make sure (as that document indicates) that you specify Select specific content and import only the Question Bank from the original class!

So you should now have the same Question Bank in your other section, and you can start building questions by importing questions into the Question Bank, as outlined here:  How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?   HOWEVER, before doing this procedure, be aware of this:  if you change a question in a Question Bank AFTER you build up a quiz from that bank, the changed question will NOT be reflected on your quiz!  So, you will either want to change a question in the Question Bank first and THEN create the quiz from that bank OR import the question from the bank and then change it in the quiz itself, which kind of sounds like what you want to do.  Be aware that any question edited this way will not later automatically show up in an "Unfiled Questions" question bank.  (At least, that's been my experience.)  

Arguably, I would say the second method is the "cleanest" method to use.  Import the original question from the question bank, and then edit it in the quiz itself.  This way, the Question Bank keeps all of your original questions, while the quiz itself reflects your changes.

I hope this doesn't all sound needlessly complicated!  It's not meant to be, and I think you will find it relatively easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I hope this helps a bit, and that I understood what you wanted to do correctly.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rcelesti ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because we've not heard from you since you fist posted this message on May 29th.  So, I thought that I would check in.  It looks like  @kblack ‌ has provided you with some good help here.  Have you had a chance to review his posting to see if it helps answer your question?  If it did, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking assistance with your initial question, please feel free to come back to this discussion thread and post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity since the end of May.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to your question below.  I hope that's okay with you, Richard.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!