Testing excused as a what if grade.

Jump to solution
jb905
Community Novice

Is there a way I can test excused as a what if grade? I have tried putting in EX but that won't work.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jb905  Welcome to the Canvas Community. I assume that you are a student, since you are specifically asking about the cool "What-if" function in your view of Grades.  You ask an interesting question, since I didn't realize that students could not test an EX grade, but upon my own testing you are absolutely correct....you can't!  However, there is likely a good reason for this: so far as the final grade for a course is concerned, leaving an assignment with a dash grade ( - ) is essentially the same as typing in EX for "excused," since both count neither for nor against a final grade.  On the other hand, if a faculty member has already input a grade for an assignment, all you can do is test another grade....you cannot try to ignore it or type in EX.  So, insofar as a FUTURE (ungraded) assignment is concerned, just leaving it blank with a dash is effectively the same as typing in EX.  But for a past/already graded assignment, indeed it is not an option.

Hope this helps a bit, Jordan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes