cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

There is no rich content editor for students?

Jump to solution

When students log in, there is no rich content editor on both the quiz page and the assignment page! This differs from what is said in so many posts. How can they write anything, not to say submit assignments?

Has anyone had this problem before? How can I fix it? I am an FFT account user and a newbie. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@664755030  

It's not working because your "Display Grade as" is "Not Graded."

A "Not Graded" assignment does not allow the student to turn in anything, including a textbox. To get the textbox, you need to change the "Display Grade as" to something other than "Not Graded", such as "Points." Then you will get the option to let them do an "Online" submission that can be a "Text Entry."

317698_pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
audrey_crawford
Explorer III

Hi Liuchun,

Your attached screenshot shows a quiz. If you want the student to write something, you must add a question to the quiz. Add an Essay type question, and the student will see a rich content editor textbox to write their answer in.

Similarly, you can create an Assignment that presents a textbox when the student clicks the button to Submit the Assignment. Note that the Instructor does not see the Submit Assignment button, but you could look at it in Student View.

Best,

Audrey

Hi Audrey,

Thank you very much for your answer to my question and my apologies for the late reply. I have been away and just came back. 

Yes the attached screenshot is student view. It was created as an assignment, but showed as a quiz! Weird. 

I just fumbled around in trying to create a question, but failed. I then created a new quiz, and found the QUESTIONS tab and succeeded in creating a question for the student to see the RCE. But I still do not know how to present a textbox in an Assignment. It seems that I have a long way to go. I actually do not know the difference between a quiz and an assignment in Canvas. I will keep learning. 

Many thanks,

Liuchun 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@audrey_crawford  Hi  @664755030  , and  @664755030  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

I am not an FFT user, but for essay items in quizzes, discussion postings, and text-box entry assignment submissions students do have an RCE available.

Essay item in quiz.............

314226_pastedImage_2.png

Discussion Postings...............

314227_pastedImage_3.png

Assignment Text-entry submission box....................

314228_pastedImage_4.png

Is it possible that your students are using outdated or unsupported browsers, or unsupported devices? Or, were you talking about somewhere else in Canvas?

Also, check out the Rich Content Editor chapter in the Student Guide.

Finally, as noted by  @audrey_crawford  above, you must create a place for them to access an RCE.  Generally in a Cavas course, only teachers have editorial rights, and will see an RCE; however, and RCE is available for students everywhere they need one.

If this isn't what your students are seeing, then I would strongly suggest submitting a support ticket.

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

Thank you very much for your answer. 

"You must create a place for them to access an RCE"!  That answered my silly question. I will read the Instructor Guide and find out how. 

Best, 

Liuchun  

Hi Kelley, 

MY assignment interface seems to differ from the interface shown in the Instructor Guide, and there is no Select Submission Type. 

317707_my interface.PNG

Any idea why? I am a FFT user. 

Many thanks.

Liuchun 

@664755030  

It's not working because your "Display Grade as" is "Not Graded."

A "Not Graded" assignment does not allow the student to turn in anything, including a textbox. To get the textbox, you need to change the "Display Grade as" to something other than "Not Graded", such as "Points." Then you will get the option to let them do an "Online" submission that can be a "Text Entry."

317698_pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply! Yay, that is the reason and I just found this out by reading the " How do I add or edit details in an assignment" closely. 

It is so hard for me. I am not tech-savvy at all and this is the first time I try Canvas and I certainly have problems understanding technical language as a non-native English user. 

I am not teaching but using Canvas to conduct research. I design this learning resource to recruit participants and ask them for feedback after using the learning resource. I have no binding force on any of the participants and that is why I set "Display Grade" as "Not Graded", not knowing the problems this has created. I have changed it to "complete/incomplete". 

I really appreciate the efforts of people like you who reach out to help. 

Thanks a million!

Liuchun