Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patricia_estrad
Community Member

Third Party Tools - Late Policy

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put this out there and see if any other schools had observed something similar with regards to third party tool behavior in the new gradebook.

It seems to be that late policies applied externally within the tool (eg, Macmillan, Pearson) for assignments with a submission type of External Tool (eg, Kaltura), the late policies don't get transferred over onto the Canvas side. Late policies only apply to submissions of the Online type.

In other words, Canvas doesn't "know" that when a grade is coming in for Assignment 4 for Joe Student, that that grade has a "late" attribute applied to it, so it doesn't know to apply the internal Canvas late policy to it. 

We're currently mitigating future issues by writing up some documentation for our faculty, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else found this behavior in their testing.

Thank you!

Patti

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Patricia,

You are correct. Canvas does not know how to determine late policies for External Tool assignment types. That behavior is noted in our lesson, How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the New Gradebook? 

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lpfister
Surveyor II

I have noticed something similar several times with submissions from the Google Cloud Assignment external tool.  The late penalty will apply, but it will not assign zeros to missing work automatically.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Patricia,

You are correct. Canvas does not know how to determine late policies for External Tool assignment types. That behavior is noted in our lesson, How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the New Gradebook? 

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

Thanks Erin, and I know that's the right answer, but I don't see it mentioned in How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the Gradebook? It really should be,or am I just not seeing it?  I searched on External, tool, and LTI on the page and none were mentioned.  Maybe a different phrase is used.  It is mentioned in this document, but it really applies to both.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16568-4152826328