cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmattern
Learner

This file contains HTML and cannot be previewed. Please download to view.

I'm getting a handful of student submissions that, in Speedgrader, show the following message: "This file contains HTML and cannot be previewed. Please download to view."  However, when I try to download the file, I am unable to.  I had a student share her screen with me to see if there was some kind of user error (uploading the wrong kind of file, or perhaps pasting the url of their Google doc instead of the file itself), but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  While this is only affecting a small number of my students, I've had another teacher report that about 30% of her student submissions look this way.

I've looked for an answer, but all I've seen are a couple unanswered posts (including one where a moderator closed the thread because there wasn't much discussion on it).

Labels (1)
30 Replies
vancej
Surveyor

Is there any update from  Instructure on this because students are being impacted?

jmattern
Learner

Hi all!

I just received news that our district has elevated a support ticket with Canvas and is trying to work with Canvas and Google (evidently both are pointing the finger at the other for the origin of the problem) to see if they can collaborate on a solution. I will try and update this thread if a solution is reached.

mmmmm
Surveyor

I had this problem once or twice before Canvas updated the RCE. After this update, I'm seeing it on almost every assignment. This issue has clearly not been adequately addressed. I really loved Canvas for my first few years of teaching, but it seems to have gone downhill in this last year. 

Tags (3)
bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I had almost a dozen students reporting this issue yesterday!

clay_elmore
Surveyor II

Definitely need some guidance here because the issue is worsening by the day. At first it was just a few Slide decks and now I'm getting the error on entire classes of simple Doc submissions.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I just talked to Support and they said all of our submissions that this happened with are google files. The current workaround is to download the file and then upload into the submission from the computer until Google and Canvas gets things worked out.  "Something changed in Google files formatting."

I set all of my assignments to file submit and limit to .docx files - so students download as Microsoft Word (.docx) then submit. I'm still seeing this issue - I have had some success by simply asking students to resubmit - most of the time this works, but not 100%. 

patti_eaves
Surveyor

This is still occurring.  Is there a solution?

I'm getting a handful of student submissions that, in Speedgrader, show the following message: "This file contains HTML and cannot be previewed. Please download to view."  However, when I try to download the file, I am unable to.  I had a student share her screen with me to see if there was some kind of user error (uploading the wrong kind of file, or perhaps pasting the url of their Google doc instead of the file itself), but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  This is occurring more and with more students daily.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Please make sure you are clicking on the ? on your Global Navigation menu and submitting a ticket to Canvas support every time it happens!  It only takes a min and the more it's logged with support, the more urgent the issue becomes within escalation.   They closed out my tickets last week, so I thought they found the issue and the fix, so perhaps they didn't or it's crept back up...whatever it is!

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.58.21 AM.png

Our admin had us ask the students to resubmit their work as pdf files - this worked for most but not all.  We were then told to have our students go to their google drive and do something called "clear the cache".  This does seemed to have worked as for the last week, I have been able to read the students' submissions as docx or pdf from their drives.  I didn't send any "tickets" on this at the end of January as I didn't know it was recommended and I would have had about 30 in in 3 days; however, if this recurs, I will explore that option.