cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AustinS
Surveyor II

Timestamp wrong for instructor?

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue. I accidentally turned in the wrong file for a quiz. When the professor notified me of the issue, I sent the correct file and told them to check the timestamp on the file and they would see that I did in fact complete the assignment in time and merely made a mistake.

Unfortunately, the file I sent my instructor showed the time to be four hours later than the actual time on my original file. We are both in the same time zone (EST), but there was a four hour difference in the "created" section of the properties of the file on their side for reasons neither of us are able to comprehend. Can someone please explain how this could have happened?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @AustinS ...

Hmmm...I'm not sure if this is the solution or not, but the first thing I would check would be your own time zone settings in your Canvas account, and I would also suggest that the instructor also check his/her own time zone settings.  For you, as a student, you would want to follow this Guide:

For your instructor, he/she would want to check two different areas of Canvas ... one to set the time zone for his/her own personal settings, and one to check the time zone settings of the course.

Finally, I would assume this has already been taken care of, but there is one other area of Canvas that time zones can be set.  This particular setting is only available to your school's Canvas administrator(s), and the Guide for that is here:

Again, this would only be available for a Canvas administrator at your school, and it is a time zone that is set for your school's entire Canvas account.  So, for example, I work at a Technical College in Wisconsin, and I am a Canvas administrator.  Since we are in the Central Time Zone, we set our entire Canvas account to the Central Time Zone (CST).

I hope this will be of help to you, Austin.  Please let Community members now if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.