Timezone of students

Jump to solution
masoodk
Community Member

Hello,

Many of my students live outside my country and they have different time zones. I was wondering whether it is possible for me to check the student's timezone from canvas? From where they are accessing the class lectures should be helpful for my purpose.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@masoodk 

You won't be able to do this as an instructor. A Canvas administrator could go into each student's account and see what their timezone settings are.

That's a lot of work for your admin and you didn't provide a rationale for why you want this information. Other than curiosity, why does it matter what the local time is when the student is viewing things?  Assignments are not due based on the location where the student is. All due dates are based on the timezone for the course. If the course is using Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5) and you make an assignment due at at 11:59 pm, then it is stored within Canvas as 4:59 am the next day, which is what it would be in UTC time. Then when a student views the assignment, they see it in their own local timezone. A student who is in Mountain Standard Time (UTC-7), would see it due at 9:59 pm.

One thing you can do to see when students are accessing the data, but it won't give you the timezone, is to go into the Access Report for the student and see when the last time they viewed something was. This will be in your local timezone (which may or may not be the same as the course timezone).

View solution in original post