Timezone

Jump to solution
JL16
Community Member

My canvas has been set in my timezone since the start of this semester and I've had no problem submitting my assignments on time until today. I submitted my very last assignment at 11:55 am in my timezone thinking the due date was correct according to my timezone. It turned out it wasn't.  Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 8.50.48 pm.png

The only possible explanation to this situation is if I had changed my setting back to the uni timezone after I submitted my previous assignment on Dec 1, which I never did. Also if it had been set in the uni timezone throughout the semester I would not have been able to make my previous submissions on time. Also, there was a system outage to my uni canvas system on Dec 5 - I am wondering if it has any relevance to my situation? 

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.29.55 pm.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @JL16 ...

There are three areas in Canvas where time zone settings can be configured:

Assuming that these three time zones are set up properly, any due dates for assignments should display the proper time for you so that you know when your instructor has established due dates for assignments.  Canvas factors in the time zone settings so that you don't have to calculate those manually.  You might want to check with your instructor and/or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department (or a local Canvas administrator) to ensure that these time zones are all set properly in Canvas.

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post