cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Too Many Courses for Inbox?

I'm hopeful someone can help me out! We have quite a few people (admins, etc) that are in a long list of courses and need to send out emails to students via Inbox. However, because they are in so many courses, when they try to compose a message Inbox is almost non-functional. If we hover over 'more courses', it does start to list the courses, but the list freezes then disappears if we try to scroll through them (I have waited until they all load, but that takes a long time and still doesn't work) or if we try to type anything in the search field the list again disappears.

Am I missing something? We can't be the only institution that has people in a long list of courses - there has to be a better solution than constantly removing then re-adding people to courses just so they can send an email.

5 Replies
Community Member

Hi emw8@psu.edu - As a fellow Admin, I'm a little surprised that you have to send out that many individual messages to individual classes. We have been on Canvas for about 5 years, and while I'm in a lot of classes, the search function for me, at least, works just fine if I just keep typing.  

Are there not any "End" dates to your classes? That would at least move the course from the "More Courses" area into "Concluded."  The whole concept of end dates and concluding courses can be a bit confusing, so if you are new to Canvas, you may find this Discussion of interest: Dates and Concluding Courses as well as this one (even though it's 2 years old now): https://community.canvaslms.com/message/31068 .  

We do add end dates to courses, but we keep the course open for two years after it finishes so the students are still able to access past material that may be relevant to current courses in the program - they need more than a read-only status.

Community Member

Oh wow--that's a bit unusual. I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=082a09a8-472f-4e63-9bc3-41014ea9d72... group in the Community to see if any of them have an idea. You may want to join that group yourself; head to that link and under the Actions menu on the upper-right, click JOIN.

Surveyor

I am having a similar problem with many courses of the same name:

(i.e. search results:

"GRE Test Preparation"

"GRE Test Preparation"

"GRE Test Preparation"

"GRE Test Preparation"

).

Without (1) changing the titles or (2) trial and error, it is almost impossible to select the correct course when sending message via Inbox. 

I wish the course ID# were display in parentheses next to the title or something similar, to help distinguish. 

Please let me know if you've had any progress in finding a good workflow!!

Best, 
Kevin 

Community Member

Multiple admins at my institution have this problem.

The Dashboard, Courses->All Courses, and Inbox are all incredibly laggy -- in some cases actually unusable. I'm in around ~800 courses. There is no easy way to unenroll from courses quickly, courses need to be available for years afterward, and there are too many to load.