cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awarnock
Community Member

Total # of students submitted - why the 9+?

Jump to solution

Why has the "To Do" list of items to grade digressed to "9+" instead of actually showing how many students have submitted the assignment?  I am regularly looking to see "Oh good, 45 of my 50 students have submitted" or "Hmmmm.... only 23 of 50 have submitted, I should send a reminder". 

9+ is LESS information than we used to see.  Please bring back the actual count of submitted assignments.  Every single one now says 9+ and that's not helpful at all.

Aaron

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhallmark
Community Team
Community Team

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience on this. Last night we updated the beta environment to show instructors the exact number of gradable items in the To Do list. The indicator supports up to three digits. We've also aligned the icons and content so they look nicer with longer course and assignment names. These changes will be pushed into the production environment on March 12.

Thank you!

Erin

View solution in original post

21 Replies
erinhallmark
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Aaron,

We are speaking with the product manager about this change and will share more information when it is available.

Thanks,

Erin

I couldn't agree with Aaron more. Can you ask the product manager why on earth he/she would offer a downgrade as an improvement? I have quite a bit of experience in web design, and this is as basic as it gets. The blue circles look nice, but less navigation and more information should take precedent.

Lance

erinhallmark
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Aaron,

Our product manager would be interested to hear more about how you use the sidebar for your workflow. These changes were made in an attempt to simplify the Dashboard experience for the majority of our users, but if you feel like you cannot adjust to this change, please submit a support ticket. In your ticket, please share some of the thoughts you mentioned here as to why being able to view the exact number of gradable submissions is important to you.

Thank you!

Erin

erinhallmark
Community Team
Community Team

Hello!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and comments! We've received lots of great feedback that our product team is using to evaluate this change. (Please do not submit a support ticket.)

When we have an update for you, we'll post it here!

Thank you,

Erin

Erin Hallmark wrote:

Hello!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and comments! We've received lots of great feedback that our product team is using to evaluate this change. (Please do not submit a support ticket.)

When we have an update for you, we'll post it here!

Thank you,

Erin

I take it you were flooded by tickets? Smiley Happy

M1041874
Community Member

Please STAHP! We get it!  9+ bad! :smileydevil:

I agree as well. I use the sidebar as a quick way to keep tabs on how many ungraded submissions are in an assignment. Because of the change, I have to open each assignment window separately in order to see how many submissions have been uploaded. With three classes hosted by Canvas, this involves a new time commitment, not to mention frustration when the connection is slow. The new design is frustrating and less helpful.

erinhallmark​, does this mean the 9+ will be back to the actual amount of items that need to be graded? The entire English Department contacted me this week to advocate for this to be fixed. The comment I heard most was "It's not helpful..."

Thanks!

Sarah

akeenan
Community Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates this "upgrade".  I need to be able to see how many students have turned in an assignment.  Right now there's no easy way to do this.  Also, as I'm grading assignments I like to see the number decrease.  Please bring back the actual count!