cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Track whether students used desktop or mobile browser

Jump to solution

In Canvas LMS, is there a way to capture and report the type of device that the student/user logged in from? Can administrators track whether students logged in from their desktop browsers or mobile browsers? For example, does Canvas log the name of the browser using which the student accessed the system?

Thanks in advance.

-Kunal

Tags (4)
24 Replies
Highlighted

Hi Michelle,

I'd be happy to chat about what we've done so far and share ideas. Hangout or call works fine for me. Message me for setting up a time.

Highlighted

Chris,

I was wondering if we can connect because I am trying to add google analytics to our cloud instance to test it but unsure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry for the late reply, I've been doing some vacationing :smileylaugh:  I'd be happy to help you. What were you thinking? A call or Google Hangout?

Highlighted

Chris,

Somehow it appears that reply to the email directly doesnt work.

Thanks for the reply. I dont use google nor do I have google accounts. Would a skype meeting be reasonable?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hey amcdona@ufl.edu​....

i-need-dat-cat.jpg

Highlighted

Sure jkocher@ufl.edu​ I've used them before.

got_your_back.jpg

Highlighted

Good post Chris. This is what UCF uses to track web and mobile traffic. I have custom views setup to see type of device, mobile OS, etc. I have been asking for stats inside the mobile app for almost 2 years now. I hope this will eventually happen. Currently the mobile app is hidden from view in Google Analytics. :smileyconfused:

Highlighted

Yes, it would be great to have the ability to see the stats on Mobile App use!

Highlighted

Apparently there is a way that the mobile team can setup custom views in Google Analytics to share this data with each institution. We were asked last fall to send over attributes to be added to a custom view in GA for each institution. I was told that the Android app tracking was almost done, but I haven't heard anything since. Hopefully we can spin this up again with the mobile team and get our mobile app stats.

Here's the list:

Essential:

Number of users (system wide)

Number of sessions

Average session duration

Pageviews

Device

Operating system version

App version

Would be Nice:

Number of users (by course)

Average session duration (by individual user)

Screen size

Some kind of metric for engagement via mobile; # of assignments submitted via mobile, messages sent, discussions posted to, quizzes, etc

Logins by Day of Week

Logins by Hour

Highlighted

Chris,

Quick question. Did you just drop the Google Analytics embed code into the JS file, any old place, or did you wrap it in something?

Thanks,

Marc

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels