cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Transfer of students from one course to another

How do I transfer a section of students from course into another? For example, a teacher has 1st trimester course and we want to move her whole section  of students to her 2nd trimester course shell. Is there step by step directions for this?

Tags (2)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

katie.james@gpaed.com​, how did you get the students into the 1st trimester course? Was it automatic or did you have to do it manually? However you did it for the first course is probably the way you'd want to do it for the 2nd trimester course.

There are ways to automate this or to do it on the back end of Canvas, but depending on the number of students it might not be worth it to dig into the API and other tech stuff.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Katie - You can find our .csv formatting here as well as instructions on how to format and upload those changes.  I would specifically use the enrollments.csv file to manage moving a group of students from one section to another.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi katie.james@gpaed.com​ you might find this community doc very helpful as well for a step by step process: scroll down to enrollments as the "students or users" are already in Canvas you'll just need to upload a csv file for enrollments and assign those users to that course.

How do I format CSV text files for uploading data into a Canvas account?​

Let me know if you have more questions I'm happy to help.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Another idea would be utilizing cross listing feature with in Canvas for that section.  Crosslist just  that section into another course shell with the content vs moving all of the enrollments.

Highlighted

You could do that as well. Helpful to note though if you do crosslist the enrollments from that section to the new course shell, the previous grades will not appear in the 1st trimester course since the enrollments have been moved.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, katie.james@gpaed.com...

It has been a long time since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community and received several responses from both Community members and Instructure employees.  Have you had an opportunity to review the above responses?  If so, did any of those responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with this?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to help you out.  I'm hopeful that you've come up with a resolution to this, but for now I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite some time.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Katie.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels