Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexander_mitch
Explorer III

Troubles with Badgr

Jump to solution

Hello, all!

I'm a new Canvas admin and I'm having some frustrating issues with the Badgr LTI.

We've set up Badgr to experiment with badging in a Canvas Orientation course, and it was working perfectly for a while, but as we began to run the second group of faculty through the course, it stopped awarding badges and we began seeing the following error message when trying to access the Badgr interface through Canvas:

Error message

We've removed and replaced the LTI, we've checked the modules themselves, and tried all the things I could think of.

We've reached out to Badgr and Canvas without much luck, so I'm hoping this is something others have seen?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
notto
Surveyor

We know of two current causes for this error:

• A recent change by Instructure resulted in our app "developer key" being turned off at the root account level in a handful of domains. This can be resolved by a Canvas admin visiting the admin controls for the root account > Developer Keys > Inherited Keys > View More > Badgr.io . 
  • Multiple Canvas user logins associated with one Badgr account as additional email addresses. If we think two different Canvas users are the same user because they've both confirmed their email addresses on one account, the Canvas auth tokens we obtain will be invalid for some of those users' courses. I think the above issue is the one affecting your institution (not this one), but this is a pitfall to be aware of. 

I believe we are corresponding with you or another instructor at your institution on our help system about this. If anybody else reading this has this problem, check the above possibilities and feel free to open a help ticket at help@badgr.io to make sure we work your issue as quickly as possible.

Nate Otto
Director, Badgr Platform, Concentric Sky
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kschneider25
Adventurer

Wow that's a doozy of an error.  Hopefully  @notto  can help out or check out this guide on Badgr about checking the publishing of the module and the items within the module.  Also I would create a ticket with Badgr by email them at help@badgr.io (which it sounds like you have).

notto
Surveyor

We know of two current causes for this error:

• A recent change by Instructure resulted in our app "developer key" being turned off at the root account level in a handful of domains. This can be resolved by a Canvas admin visiting the admin controls for the root account > Developer Keys > Inherited Keys > View More > Badgr.io . 
  • Multiple Canvas user logins associated with one Badgr account as additional email addresses. If we think two different Canvas users are the same user because they've both confirmed their email addresses on one account, the Canvas auth tokens we obtain will be invalid for some of those users' courses. I think the above issue is the one affecting your institution (not this one), but this is a pitfall to be aware of. 

I believe we are corresponding with you or another instructor at your institution on our help system about this. If anybody else reading this has this problem, check the above possibilities and feel free to open a help ticket at help@badgr.io to make sure we work your issue as quickly as possible.

Nate Otto
Director, Badgr Platform, Concentric Sky
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

View solution in original post

Thank you both for your help!

It was the Developer Key issue, and everything seems to be working now. 

Thank you!