cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Turn off inbox messaging or get it forwarded

Jump to solution

I really do not want to check Canvas and my email for student questions. How can I either disable inbox messages or have them forwarded to my email account?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

There is an institutional level feature that we can turn on for your institution that allows a user to opt out of the inbox messages and have them directly forwarded to your school email account. You'll have to talk with your CSM about getting it turned on for you. If you're not the Admin for your account, reach out to them and see if you could get it turned on. It'll be a checkbox in your personal settings. Just an FYI.

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jbess@hccfl.edu​...

All of your communication methods are set up through your profile in Canvas.  You can choose the kinds of way you want to be contacted (e-mail, text message, Twitter, etc.) and also the frequency of those notifications (right away, daily, weekly, not at all).  Here are a bunch of Canvas Guides on how to set notification preferences.  Hopefully, this info should get you on the right track:

How do Notification Preferences work?

How do I set my Notification Preferences? 

What are the default Canvas Notification Preferences?

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jbess@hccfl.edu​, you cannot disable Inbox messages; the Canvas Inbox is an integral part of the Canvas learning platform, and I hope over time you will find that you can accomplish more in the Inbox than simply checking students' questions: see What is Conversations? for an overview of the Canvas Inbox.

However, you can choose to conduct all of your communications with students via your external email by setting your notification preferences to have Canvas Inbox messages sent ASAP to the email account of your choice. You can then reply to the messages directly from your external email, and a copy of your replies will be preserved in the Canvas Inbox.

Here are some lessons from the Canvas Guides that will help you manage your notification preferences:

How do Notification Preferences work?

What are the default Canvas Notification Preferences?

How do I set my Notification Preferences?

Highlighted
Community Member

PLEASE tell me this will change.  The email system in Canvas is absolutely terrible.

Highlighted

mdurler@emporia.edu​, if you wish to provide feedback about the Canvas Inbox, consider asking to be invited to this group: Canvas Focus Group: Conversations RCE​--or submit a new feature idea with your ideas about how to change the Canvas conversations (not email) feature: How do I create a new feature idea?

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

There is an institutional level feature that we can turn on for your institution that allows a user to opt out of the inbox messages and have them directly forwarded to your school email account. You'll have to talk with your CSM about getting it turned on for you. If you're not the Admin for your account, reach out to them and see if you could get it turned on. It'll be a checkbox in your personal settings. Just an FYI.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for that clarification, jperkins@instructure.com I'll make a note of that in case it ever comes up again.

Highlighted

stefaniesanders Is there a way to set up a vacation responder in Canvas Conversations?  I need to find a way to let people know I'm away when they send me notes through Canvas.

Highlighted

alfredo.alcantar@sjsu.edu​, the Canvas Inbox does not currently have an away message or vacation responder capability. If this is a feature that you would like to see implemented, you might want to write up a submission to Canvas Feature Ideas​, using the guidelines in this document to write your request: How to write a good feature idea submission

Highlighted

We'd like to pursue this option.  Is this option something that still exists?